Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Anybody from Maryland have headers on their Tib?

Old 05-30-2002, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody from Maryland have headers on their Tib?

Hey guys,

I live in Maryland and i am trying to get SR 4-1 headers for my 2001 Tib. Since the Tib comes with 2 catalytic converters on board, (one in the headers themselves), i would only be riding around with one Cat. I already checked with the Maryland emissions people who gave me a cloudy answer...Does anybody know FOR SURE if the Tib will pass emissions inspection in Maryland with just ONE cat? or does anyone know where i would get an answer? Because if i cant pass inspection i am not even authorized to put back the old equipment since will have modified the stock equipment (!)

Your knowledge is greatly appreciated,
thanks
Old 05-30-2002, 09:19 AM

Hey Civ Killer,
I'm from Maryland too. The Abingdon/ Bel Air section of Harford county. Where you from?
Oh yeah, I haven't done anything that involves modifying the horsepower (exhaust, air Intake, cams, etc.)
So i can't help ya with that smile.gif
Just neat to know someone else in Maryland is with Team SR.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:05 AM

Hmm.. as far as I know, California is the only state that requires two cats. All other cars should come with only one cat. Random could pry give you a for sure answer on this.. but I'm pretty sure you should be okay without the second cat.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:33 AM

Your car may pass the sniffer test with one cat but there is NO WAY you are going to pass the visual test. If the car came stock with 2 cats then it must stay with 2 cats. Besides, the law is you can't remove a working cat before 50K miles.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:37 PM

Wow, you guys have a visual test, also? All we have here is you drive up, they stick the sniffer in the tailpipe (huhuhuh), test for a min or so, and then you're gone.
Old 05-30-2002, 03:33 PM

Well, technically you CAN replace them if they're (hehe) damaged before 50k. I mean, how is it your fault if you are rotating your tires and you accidentally miss with a wrench and punch a hole in it ?
tongue.gif
Old 05-30-2002, 03:59 PM

In Mayland the Visual test is to make sure you have one under your car. Isn't it? Last time I took my Accent in, I don't remember them checking for a cat. They just hooked it up and tested it. I think you should be ok.
Old 05-31-2002, 02:22 AM

Well, I am from Maryland also. I have emissions coming up also. Dthomas, which part of southern Maryland are you from? Peace.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:17 AM

I think you would pass fine. As far as I know theres no way for them to know if you have a Cali. emissions tib. Some tibs came with 1 cat. some came with 2. As long as one cat. is on there you should be ok.
Then theres always the "I bought it like this" excuse.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:53 PM

Thanks a lot for your help, but its still kinda sketchy, cuz im not trying to be screwed on emissions... is there a Moderator/Administrator who can maybe help me? By the way, im from Rockville, MD for those who are wondering. Im glad to see some Tibs coming thru...Does anyone in this forum live near Rockville? Cool, aright thanks again, cya.