Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Another wonderful problem with the Maintec GT headers

Old 03-19-2005, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another wonderful problem with the Maintec GT headers

Well, seeing as I got the slim fan I bought from OP, I thought I'd take another crack at installing my GT headers. Well, during the installation I found another problem even more serious than the fan issue. You know those bolts that stick out of the engine block, the ones the headers attach to? Well, the top bolt, second from the right hits the headers. As in, it sticks out so far it creates about a 1/4 inch gap between the block and the headers. I made a crappy picture in Paint:

Anyways, I'm seriously pissed. I'm real glad Maintec mentioned you'll need a thinner fan and will have to cut on the engine block to make these fit. rolleyes.gif
Old 03-19-2005, 12:25 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Hmmmmm..... Doesn't sound good!
Old 03-19-2005, 12:29 PM

No it doesn't. Nor does it look good. I'm REAL hesistant to take the Dremel to the bolt.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:34 PM

you can take a dremel to it, just becareful not to mess up the threads
Old 03-19-2005, 12:51 PM

Here's a pic I took.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok, if it does come down to you having to cut the stud, my advice is to put the nut on before you cut it down with the dremel. Smooth the end of the stud out with the dremmel, and then move the nut back and forth over the part you cut to ensure the threads line up. Ive had to do this alot in the past, and puttin the nut on before cutting saves Loads of time wink1.gif
Old 03-19-2005, 01:57 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Casper)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ok, if it does come down to you having to cut the stud, my advice is to put the nut on before you cut it down with the dremel. Smooth the end of the stud out with the dremmel, and then move the nut back and forth over the part you cut to ensure the threads line up. Ive had to do this alot in the past, and puttin the nut on before cutting saves Loads of time </div>

excellent advice, or else your going to br sitting there trying to make some threads with a file later... and i can tell you thats not fun. rolleyes.gif
Old 03-19-2005, 02:47 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

So that stud touches the header piping?? No way.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:59 PM

Yes, it does. You can see it in the pic I took. I'm just gonna Ebay this friggin thing. Seriously, for the amount of trouble I'm gonna have to go through to get these things on, the small gain just isn't worth it. I'll start the bidding at around $500. I'll just use the money to buy an AirRam.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:00 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

why did you buy the fan? did you ever try installing them with the fan off, then putting the fan back on?

but yeah, that stud sucks.