Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Aircon Malfunction?

Old 02-02-2005, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aircon Malfunction?

on my '04 coupe, my airconditioning somewhat feels like it loses its cool when i drive it up to speed. and something smells different, is this normal?

anybody experience this already?
Old 02-02-2005, 06:10 AM

Welcome to the site! Just a warning through, people are going to jump on this.. so be ready. First off, this site is set up for the RD series of Tiburon/Coupe. The 96 through 2001 models.. but we are more than willing to help anybody with problems.

Ok.. when you say up to speed, do you mean you are at wide open throttle with the foot to the floor? If that is the case, Hyundai installs a switch to disconnect the air conditioning compressor when full power is needed. This is entirely normal and a design feature, not a failure.

As for the funny smell.. I do not know what causes that, but mine does that as well when the air is turned off. It is that metallic, maybe musty smell, right?
Old 02-02-2005, 07:30 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Smell goes after you turning your air condition off?
I have same problem - you should clean airways (i think it's called airways in English).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ok.. when you say up to speed, do you mean you are at wide open throttle with the foot to the floor? If that is the case, Hyundai installs a switch to disconnect the air conditioning compressor when full power is needed. This is entirely normal and a design feature, not a failure. </div>

Is the same on 1997 Tib? When it is disconecting air conditioning compressor is A/C light still ON?
Old 02-02-2005, 11:55 AM

yea blow out the vents, that'll help some for the smell. if this is something that just started happening check your freon lvls and coolant lvls. you may also need to change your thermostat
Old 02-02-2005, 02:39 PM

yes, the light stays on.. the car just disconnects the compressor clutch so it freewheels instead of driving the compressor.. everything in the system works as it was when it was before you went to wide open throttle
Old 02-04-2005, 07:32 AM

oh so thats why this site's called rdtiburon... smile.gif

so its normal. feature not failure. all's well then. im just not used to it yet.
that means i dont have to turn off the airconditioning whenever i need to put myself infront of the bmw 3's here in manila. hehehe.

great help arthur!
is there anyway to adjust this feature? like say i need it to trigger a little later than it does.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:14 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The air compressor only kicks of during Wide Open Throttle (foot to the floor), so there is no way to trigger it later.