Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Air Filters

Old 08-03-2006, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys..sorry if this topic was touched b4..but im kinda in a rush and just have a question..What air pod filter is better to use for my CAI? Some people say it doesnt matter..it can be just the cheap one as long as u dont drive on like dirt or water, while others say AEM, HKS...What about Apexi and K&N? Which one is better (Apexi or K&N)?

Thanks Guys!
Old 08-03-2006, 07:29 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Im pretty sure the AEM CAI comes with a K&N.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:32 AM

yeah well i didnt know lol..just thinking of wich one to buy..cos the price range is pretty big..
Old 08-03-2006, 05:27 PM

I've always used the K&N filter, since they are a tried and true filter for almost any car out there. But I'm planning on getting the new AEM Dry Flow filter for $40 off Ebay. I can let you know how it feels, but it is going to be about 2 weeks before I order it.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:36 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Osv4 @ Aug 3 2006, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>What about Apexi and K&N? Which one is better (Apexi or K&N)?</div>
Either will be fine for what you want. If the budget is tight, go with the cheaper one of the two.

Mine is a K&N. I've had it for around 1.5 years & I've been very happy with it. It's still in good condition too.

Just stay away from the $15 cheapo ones that you can find in the discount bins in most car parts stores... They're absolute crap & will start to disintegrate before you even get a chance to clean & re-oil them.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:09 PM

Hmm...Well i was talking to other guys and to col96fx and he said the cheap filters are ok as long as you dont drive on like dirt and follow other cars too close while wet..so yeah..i think i might get Apexi as it is cheaper..But which would deliver better perfomance? Or both are the same?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:02 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yah whatever filter you get make sure its a cleanable filter. When i was N/A i never noticed a difference between a K&N and a cheap filter.

So i decided to go by looks and cost, and made sure it was clean. The only time i noticed a drop off in power is when the filter was real dirty.

Now that im turbo i care even less about which filter i get because my filter is in the top right corner of my engine bay with relatively cool air and very small chance of getting dirty.

I actually just bought a new filter, not a name brand type but its pretty nice looking and pretty unrestrictive. i think i have some pics, they come in a lot of colors. i like the anodized look.

Old 08-04-2006, 06:04 PM

get a foam style filter like armsoil or whatever. there was a study posted at school one day on how the k&n stlye filters don't actually filter. The foam filters filter the best and give you about the same performance.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:31 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (brian01tib @ Aug 3 2006, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Im pretty sure the AEM CAI comes with a K&N.</div>

I think all the AEMs come with their own dry flo filters now.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>But I'm planning on getting the new AEM Dry Flow filter for $40 off Ebay. I can let you know how it feels, but it is going to be about 2 weeks before I order it.</div>

I'll be picking up one soon too. My K&N is ready to be retired. Let us know your first impressions.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:25 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

best filter to buy is 30$ by a company (not sure if this is the correct spelling ) MAC, atleast thats what ive found to be good. As for AEM's Dryflow, ive been under the impression not to get one... Some people I know, who have the V2 intake on their hondas, keep telling me that it gets very dirty real fast.