Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Aftermarket Exhaust, Stock Headers?

Old 02-03-2005, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Aftermarket Exhaust, Stock Headers?

Ok guys after some saving i have a respectable amount of dough, two carpayments in the bank and i still retain about 400 bucks to do with what i wish.

i have a CAI at this point and in the future i plan on turboing. i was thinking about using the cash to get a 2.5 inch exhaust, but here is the problem, i dont want to get the headers because it would be a waste of $$ because i plan on going turbo relatively soon. would there be a problem putting a 2.5 inch exhaust on stock headers? after i go turbo would the new exhaust bolt onto the turbo downpipe fine? Would still see some gains in hp(bf i turbo)? i know that i would get better sound.

i plan on getting the custom exhaust at a local muffler shop, how much does this usually run($)? bc i was thinking about getting underdrive pulleys as well. Any help would be appreciated...(sorry for all the Q's)
Old 02-03-2005, 05:59 AM

I do not see why this couldn't be done.. you might not show all the gains, but I am sure it would make a difference.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:04 AM

ok then im gonna do it, shouldnt be much more than 200 not including the muffler right?
Old 02-03-2005, 10:12 AM

soo... your trying to buy just the piping with one cat? what exactly peices are you trying to replace. confused.gif

XS power on ebay (dont know the reliability of these guys but...) has a kit for around 300 shipped for muffler piping and one cat.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:31 AM

It shouldn't cost you more then $200..hopefully if the muffler shop isn't trying to rip you off..at that price, you could get a KRD for $250 brand new with mandrel bends.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:28 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Depends on what you go with... mild steel crush bent shouldn't cost more than 100 bucks with no muffler... stainless steel mandrel should run around 200 without a muffler.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:56 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

I know you prolly want to buy something right now but......what about saving up another couple weeks and getting the Apexi exhaust from Rick. Prolly be a while until we can get that product again by the sounds of it.

As for the turbo thing. Good thinking. You'll have no problems with swapping out the old cat/header combo, when you go turbo. Plus you'll have room for the turbo to breath that way.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:12 PM

Don't invest too much on the exhaust, pipe is just pipe; specially when you are going turbo later. If for whatever reason what you put now becomes too short for your turbo application, that will be $$$ wasted. For now, with 2,5" press bend (which I supossed is what your muffler shop can do) and a CAI, you WILL feel a difference. Just go ahead with it and put a 2,5" perforated core long glasspack, your sound will be very good, not canny at all.
The difference in gains/HP/feel between a 2,25" Stainless Steel brand exhaust and a custom 2,5" would be un-noticeable.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:43 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JalemX)</div><div class='quotemain'>soo... your trying to buy just the piping with one cat? what exactly peices are you trying to replace. confused.gif</div>

yes, and every thing from the headers back..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hamhead)</div><div class='quotemain'>Depends on what you go with... mild steel crush bent shouldn't cost more than 100 bucks with no muffler... stainless steel mandrel should run around 200 without a muffler.</div>

well i planned on going with SS crushed but if mandrel is only 200 i think ill go with it(it will help with turbo)

what else would now be a good time to go with? the overdrive pulleys? 1.8L cam? i would go BBTB AND AIRRAM but it would be too much $$ right now...BTW thanks guys, really appreciate it...
Old 02-03-2005, 02:57 PM

If you are going turbo and you want a good exhaust right now, go for AT LEAST 2,5" mandrel bend.
Personally, I would go with a larger pipe, like 2,75" (even 3" if you know yourself and you know you're not going to contain youself for going to insane boost), because the larger the pipe, the more freely the turbo, that's earlier spool, etc, etc... and if you're keeping your stock exhaust manifold and downpipe for now, THAT is what will limit your exhaust flow, hence, you won't loose backpressure even if you put a 4" exhaust (which I'm not suggesting by any means). Go large, that will help you later and you will avoid spending twice.