Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

97 Fx Body Parts Swap W/ 2001 Tib

Old 04-17-2005, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 97 Tiburon that i may be parting out depending a lot on this question. Can the body parts from my 97 be used on a 2001 damaged tiburon. Here is a picture of the damage and then you can see what parts i will need:

Seems like driverside rear panel and a lot of the rear bumper. The car is still drivable. Here is what im planning: fixing it up using the parts i already have. any of you hyundai buffs please let me know what i can still use and not use and also what to look for as well as a word of mouth estimate on the immediate repairs (the estimate would be AWESOME, please be honest).
Old 04-17-2005, 06:31 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

rear quarter panel should work from the 97, but the bumper won't because they match up with the tail lights (which are different in rd1s-rd2s).
if you're parting out a 97 tib .. let me snag some parts from ya wink1.gif

estimate...
looks like you'll need the bumper off of an 00 tib, paint for the bumper and the rear quarter panel from the 97 tib, the hatch might need to be pounded down so it is flush again, and tail lights.
so if i were to guess i would say maybe around $5-600 total?
junkyard bumper and all the paint ~ 3-400
tail lights ~ 100 (probably will just want aftermarket ones from ebay or something..if you like them)
hatch fix/misc ~ 100

i'm no mechanic, but that's my guess..don't take it too seriously. lol.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:40 PM

hmm thats a lot. looks like both quarterpanels and the trunk and the rear bumper area have cut outs for the lights. Would it be possible to remove all the panels from the 97 and put them on the 01 so it would have to old tail light configuration? How difficult is it to remove the actual body panels from the cars and replace them. If i could replace back ends, then all i would need is some paint and im good to go.
some one please comment on this because i dont even know if its possible
Old 04-17-2005, 07:29 PM

Vehicle: 2000

Some will work some won't, goto car-parts.com and they will show you what all is usable. BTW if you part out the tib, is it a 1.8 or 2.0 and is the tran a man. or a auto? Cauz I need the tranny mine when out 2 days ago, which sucks! Having to drive the *Grocery-Getter*(Neon)! Hope I helped!
Old 04-17-2005, 07:45 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jmt420 @ Apr 18 2005, 01:29 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Some will work some won't, goto car-parts.com and they will show you what all is usable. BTW if you part out the tib, is it a 1.8 or 2.0 and is the tran a man. or a auto? Cauz I need the tranny mine when out 2 days ago, which sucks! Having to drive the *Grocery-Getter*(Neon)! Hope I helped!
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>
its a 2.0L FX with 5spd manual (i would nevAr drive auto)
ok ill try car parts. THANKS ALL COMMENTS ARE APPRECIATED

EDIT: AH cant get that car-parts.com to help me. i need someone that has experience with changing body parts using multi generation tibs. please HELP!

EDIT2: basically i would be buying a damaged car and would be trying to replace 2001 rear parts with 1997 FX rear parts including tail lights if need be because the 2001 are already damaged. So if i could make the car have a 97 back end that would be awesome. then i would just have to repaint.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:26 PM

Vehicle: 2000

for car-parts.com just type in what part you are trying to changge for ex: hatch, search for a hatch in all areas, then if a 97 shows up in the list to buy then it will fit. If you are willing to sell the tran, holla at me jmt420@msn.com
Old 04-17-2005, 09:44 PM

most likely you'll need to take the hatch off of the 97 too then..that will probably be a lot of work.
you'd need to take off the quarter panels, tail lights, bumper, hatch, modify the wiring a little bit for the 97 tail lights (that won't be hard), and maybe even modify inside the hatch for the tail lights to fit (that will probably be difficult). in my opinion it could be done if you have some friends to help you that aren't idiots, it's basic stuff just a lot of it.
im really not sure about the hatch though..rd1-rd2 hatches might be the same. the inside hatch/tails will be weird though (as far as the tail lights go..). i'll take a look at mine tomorrow, it's hard for me to picture it.
i think it would be sexy though, i prefer rd1 rears over the rd2.

as far as replacing panels and bumpers, it's just nuts and bolts. anyone with basic knowledge and who knows how to use a ratchet should be able to do it. me and a friend took off and bolted back on my fender when i get into a fender bender (actually, it's still primer black at the moment..awaiting paint tongue.gif)
Old 04-17-2005, 10:00 PM

I have looked over both gens... to convert one to another, the hardest piece to change is the rear bulkhead where the lights bolt to. The bumpers, lights, and hatch are interchangable, but the mountings for the lights behind the bumper are not.

Same goes for the front.. the Bumper, lights, and hood are interchangable, but you need to do some welding on the substructure of the car to change the mounting points for the lights.

Otherwise the bodies of the two cars are identical. Hyundai took the cheap way out when they "freshened" the look of the tib and changed only two of the parts that needed to be pressed.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:02 PM

guess that's what i was kind of getting at too, it can all be interchanged easily but the place where the tail lights actually sit will need modification (that would be inside the hatch)
can't give you much more info than that..you could take both tibs to a body shop and see what they think? or if you know anyone that knows how to weld..i'm sure it's been done, i'd search around or maybe someone who's done a gen2 hybrid and swapped out the rear end could help you.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:05 AM

Wow thanks. So basically its all just wrenching off and on the body panels. And did you guys say that the RD1 bumper would fit? and as for the tail light mounting, is it possible i could come up with something that would work? Im not trying to do any serious welding, but if all it is is taking off and reconnecting the body panels thats not too bad. Also please keep me updated and let me know if you think the hatches are the same, they look pretty damn close to me from seeing the cars but im not positive.

So basically, given the picture of the damage (car is still completely drivable) and i have the parts for the rear of a 97 FX tiburon, do you think that I can do it? should i take the risk? it could yield profit and/or a the use of the new ride.