Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

01 Tiburon B&m short shifter install

Old 09-21-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon
Default 01 Tiburon B&m short shifter install

bought a short shifter for an 01 tiburon came with no instructions its one of the short shifters that has a big ball in the middle look just like the b&m shifter can anyone help also if you have pics if not it ok just need help
Old 09-23-2010, 04:03 PM

Vehicle: '97 hyundai tiburon fx

I don't know if you figured this out yet or not but it sounds like it may be the wrong shifter for your car. It sounds like a gk short shifter
Old 09-23-2010, 04:12 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

There is supposed to be a white piece of plastic that attaches to the ball. If there is not, it is missing. Mine was missing. I took the piece off of my stock shifter and welded that to a bolt of the correct thread type and then screwed that into the bottom of the B&M. It may be a better idea to contact B&M and get a replacement ball-bushing.

The installation, other then that, is straight forward. You will see a big bolt, with a nut on it. The bolt is inaccessible by wrench. You will be best with a pair of pliers and a socket to unscrew the nut from the bolt. You then pull the bolt out, remove the shift lever, insert the new shift lever, and reinsert the bolt and nut. The positioning of the B&M is slightly different, so you may have to make adjustments. The adjustments can be performed near the end of the cable. Simply loosen both nuts on the cable and turn the center piece, then tighten the nuts.

It's that simple. With proper parts, it should take nearly 15 minutes to replace the shifter. If you have to weld something, then it may take up to 30 minutes.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:55 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

Do u have any pics
Old 09-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

That is the question we should be asking you.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Here's the tutorial I made several years ago:

https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/in...ticle&id=46

Does your stock shifter look like mine? If so, you have the wrong shifter. Keep in mind... Hyundai made a running change in '01. Some '01's have the shifter in the tutorial and some have the style you were sent. Make sure you have the correct one before you proceed.