Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

~changed Power Steering Fluid Today~

Old 10-30-2006, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok,i had to do an oil change today seeing as i was at about 8k since my last oil change. well i figured i might as well knock out a few other things ive been needing to do under the hood for the past well..... few years.... lol.

after i was done with the oil, i went after the cooling system, did a flush, refilled it, great, all clean.

then i went onto my power steering system... holy crap, my fluid was burnt and brown. ive been wanting to change it seeing as its the only fluid in the car ive never touched in the over 5 years ive owned it. even drained the fluid out of the rack the best i could. and HOLY CRAP!!! i dont remember the car ever having such crisp turning ever! this thing i could steer with my pinky if i wanted. its insane. maybe its been getting slowly worse over the years,

so to anyone that hasnt, definitly think about draining, and refilling your power steering fluid. it definitly can make a big difference.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Hmm, any notes for us?

I'd been thinking about this too. Where do you drain it?

Come on mang, give me da info, I need some small projects to do.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

its a shitty process, and you will spill a little bit(atleast doing it the only way i knew how).

do you think having a smaller crank pulley would cause power steering belt to squeek and the pump to pulsate when its cold? i bleed the living hell out of it so i dont htink its that. maybe my belt is too loose.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:55 PM

Hmm, I wonder. i have minor sqealing for about 2 seconds every morning when I start the car and turn hard. Then it goes away. Only started after it started getting pretty cool in the morning.

So how do we do it?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:01 PM

was it like that before your pulley swap out? i replaced the fluid when i spray painted my resevoir.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I wouldn't mind doing this myself next time I'm back home...
Old 10-30-2006, 09:11 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tibby01 @ Oct 30 2006, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>was it like that before your pulley swap out? i replaced the fluid when i spray painted my resevoir.</div>

Ehh, I was having some bad sqealing before, but that was because the belt had a few hunks missing and such. LOL

Didn't have the problem until about 2 weeks ago, and it's not a huge problem or anything.

I just wanna know how to do this. HMA have a writeup on it?

What fluid do we use? Just wondering if there is something special we have to use because of yellow metals or whatever. You never know.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:49 PM

I'm planning on doing this soon for ps, brakes, and clutch. been 50k or so for me.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:56 AM

I imagine we use regular power steering fluid.. and yes, this is the second most ignored fluid in any car. The first being the Differential fluid if the car is front engined, rear wheel drive.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:45 PM

According to Webtech, we don't use PS fluid, but ATF Dexron II. I imagine it could be bad if standard PS fluid was used, since ATF has lots of seal-swelling additives.

REPLACING POWER STEERING FLUID
Jack up the front of the car and support with rigid racks.
Disconnect the return hose from the oil reservoir and plug the oil reservoir.
Connect a hose to the disconnected return hose, and drain the oil into a container.
Disconnect the high-tension cable at the ignition coil side. While operating the starter motor intermittently, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and then to the right several times to drain the fluid.
Connect the return hoses, then fill the oil reservoir up to the "MAX" level with the specified fluid. Power steering fluid: AFT DEXRONII type or TEXAMATIC DEXRONII Total quantity: Approx. 0.9 liter (0.95 qts)
Bleed the system.