Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

*Edit 6/7- Help!* OBX 4-2-1 & Fitment issues?

Old 05-24-2004, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

*i did do a search on this, but didn't find anything that answered my question*

I wanna know if anyone who has the OBX 4-2-1 Headers installed if they had any fitment issues or anything like that.

these are not the ss autochrome version, if there's a difference?

i wanna buy these real soon (within the next few hours) so if anyone has heard of major issues, lemme know. it will be installed by a mechanic, not in my driveway wink1.gif
Old 05-24-2004, 10:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I'd just check to see if it's got both 02 bungs and the same bolt flange setup you have.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:20 AM

Yeah, I have them and they are all the same no matter what you call them....KRD/Forza/OBX/Stone Racing....

I didn't have any trouble at all with the exception of a bolt that was rusted on that needed torched to get it off.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:52 PM

ok, thank you. will be purchased soon laugh.gif
Old 05-25-2004, 07:17 PM

When I was thinking on buying it... I talk to more than 10 people with Tiburon... They told me that they don't have any problem installing it... just to get sure about the sensors....

In some way could help you..... if you found this en Ebay... talk to people that have bought this from the same seller.... sure they will tell you everything about the header..
Old 05-25-2004, 09:07 PM

The header has an 02 bung,for the first 02 sensor.The flex pipe also has an 02 bung,but you don't want to use that one.I don't even understand why they put it there in the first place.If you are not installing a catback yet,then you have no worries right now with the 2nd 02 sensor.Just keep the bolt that comes inserted in the flex pipe 02 bung,in the bung.........I love saying that word.It makes me feel dirty,LOL!!!!

I don't remember exactly what, but under the car there is a thick metal cover.It's for the engine or the xmission,don't recall.Anyway,that cover will cause you problems.The outlet of the header will hang up on it.So,you will have to use a grinder and cut out a section of the cover,so that the header outlet flange will clear.This will be the only MAJOR problem for the mechanic.If he's a good mechanic,he will be able to nogitiate thru the little problems.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:20 PM

ok. i DO have a cat back. its the SSAuto one w/ the 5Zigen tip...

should i print what you just said and show him anways.... you said if i don't have a cat back yet to not worry.... i have a cat back. should i worry?

and, i just purchased this, so a somewhat speedy reply is helpful
Old 05-25-2004, 10:00 PM

Default RD Tiburon HP gains

The inlet side of the cat back( outlet side of the 2nd cat ) will have to be fitted with an 02 bung.This is because the 2nd 02 sensor needs to be placed at the outlet of the 2nd cat,in order for it to properly measure.And incedentially, the 2nd cat will become your 1 and only after the header is in place.Once the 2nd 02 sensor is installed in its new home, you will have to make the wires longer,since it will be slightly further away then it was in it's factory placement.This is no biggie.You cut the connector,then use butt splices to splice in some longer wires.Then of course,you splice the sensor connector back on the end.As for the rest of the cat back install,it's pretty straight foward.

Another note on the 2nd 02 sensor: Mine was frozen into the factory pipe.We tried torching it, using lubricant, etc, and it barely turned.It ended up breaking, so I had to drop $80 or so, for a new one.Also, don't worry about the 02 bung.It's a pretty easy thing to weld into the new pipe.02 bungs are a standard size,as well.

I think I hit all the major stuff.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

You are gonna need a second Bung man, in that picture at the top there is only one.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:15 PM

You can't see the pic of the header well enough to know.It'll be on the right side as you are looking straight at it.The 02 bung in the pic,is located on the flex pipe,and is not used.