Hyundai Sonata Forum The Hyundai Sonata Forum. The Sonata (around since 1989) and Hyundai XG300/XG350 (new for 2002) pickup the near-luxury segment for Hyundai. Find out where to get all the luxuries Korea is holding back on (HID, navigation systems, etc.) and how to tune your Hyundai Sonata, Azera, or XG for performance.

What to do if the tail wants to come forward?

Old 01-05-2012, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata
Default What to do if the tail wants to come forward?

Guys, a near accident that happened to me a couple years ago still haunts me to the day. And i was wondering if there was a way i could have controlled the car better should the situation come up again.

Long story short, the road was wet, i was cut-off, had to swerve and the car over steered across 4 lanes on the freeway. I managed to get control before hitting a post but the tires lost grip again and i went sideways the other way.

I was now sliding sideways to my right on the freeway. Steering wheel is turned to the right and i'm modulating throttle at this point to prevent the tail from getting ahead of me (and to avoid all the cars zooming by.)

Eventually, i hit the grassy median and straightened out.

If the tail did come out, how would you correct (or even avoid) it?

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Steer into the skid. Apply power (if you're FWD). As skid begins to correct steering progressively less into the skid makes it easier to catch the car when it is going straight again instead of whipping it the other direction.

This is all fine to know, but nothing beats practice. Slide around on ice a bit, and/or go to a street survival driving school.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

FWD is win. You can simply apply power and it will straighten out. Like what 187sks said, be mindful of applying too much oppy lock, because that will set you up for a nasty fishtail. sh*t really sux when you are in an inappropriate/too high a gear, so applying power does next to nothing.