Hyundai Sonata Forum The Hyundai Sonata Forum. The Sonata (around since 1989) and Hyundai XG300/XG350 (new for 2002) pickup the near-luxury segment for Hyundai. Find out where to get all the luxuries Korea is holding back on (HID, navigation systems, etc.) and how to tune your Hyundai Sonata, Azera, or XG for performance.

void warranty?

Old 07-06-2010, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011/hyundai/sonata
Thumbs up void warranty?

i heard by adding front and rear strut bars could void my warranty? is that true or does it all depend on the dealership?
Old 07-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I would say it depends on the dealership - you're at their mercy. If they refuse to work on it, you'll have to go to another dealer.

However, there is NO reason it should void your warranty unless they can prove the strut bars are what caused the problem. Strut bars should definitely NOT void the warranty. Hell, even the Gen Coupe comes with a front strut brace.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

It is not true. You're protected by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:17 PM

what does that act do for me?
Old 07-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Administrator

click the link. Hyundai is required to abide by the warranty unless they can prove you did something to break the part. If it's manufacturer defect, it's replaced. Unless your actions cause it to break, there's no reason for Hyundai to deny the claim.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:23 PM

i dont understand it
Old 07-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Administrator

For the dealership to deny your claim, they have to prove the modification (i.e., strut bar) caused the damage to the part under warranty. I believe the burden of proof is on them.
Example:
If you install a Cold Air Intake and suck up water, hydrolocking the engine, that's your fault. Your engine is not covered under warranty.
If you install a Cold Air Intake and your transmission blows up, one has nothing to do with the other. Your CAI has nothing to do with the tranny, therefore they can't void the warranty on the transmission.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/keep...nty-intact.html

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

The relevant legislation here, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975, protects consumers from being wrongfully denied warranty coverage by new car dealers.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states, in part, in Title 15, United States Code, Section 2302, subdivision ©:
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the [Federal Trade] Commission if —

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefore.

Under this federal statute, a manufacturer who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle is prohibited from requiring you to use a service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer.

Further, under the act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not automatically void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty
, <u>or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure.</u>