Hyundai Sonata Forum The Hyundai Sonata Forum. The Sonata (around since 1989) and Hyundai XG300/XG350 (new for 2002) pickup the near-luxury segment for Hyundai. Find out where to get all the luxuries Korea is holding back on (HID, navigation systems, etc.) and how to tune your Hyundai Sonata, Azera, or XG for performance.

Powerchip

Old 10-28-2001, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerchip

They are near impossible to contact, but I'm sure someone on here has one. I just need to make sure that the one they have listed for the "Hyundai - Sonata GLE,Coupe FX,SFX 2.0" is the correct chip for my Tibby.
http://www.powerchip.com.au
Old 10-28-2001, 11:46 PM

Cringe, the more important thing you should check is wether or not it is compatiple with an OBD-II system. I do not beleive that you can replace or reprogram the ECU's that are for the North American market. That is why everyone has to go with the SAFC or Haltec type systems.
Old 10-29-2001, 12:15 AM

I'm still waiting for a reply. Which Haltec system works with the Tiburon? If I'm about to shell out $530 on this thing I want to make sure its the right one.
Old 10-29-2001, 01:24 AM
Red

I have one, and I have multiple pictures and a hole in my bank account (old hole) to prove it.

It's not worth it.

First, since they are based in Australia, they are calibrating for 98RON fuel -- a lot more octane than you'll find here. Second, they are used to dealing with MAP-based cars, so more mods in THEIR country means you need more fuel that a MAP sensor couldn't detect -- that isn't the case in the US with our MAF sensors. Since they don't know that, the ECU ends up spewing buttloads of fuel.

Then there's wait time: they only have AU-spec ECU's on file, so they have you send in your car's ECU. While you're waiting for two weeks (one week of shipping each direction, plus a few days to be read and have the PCB modified), your car is completely useless. When your ECU comes back, it will still be stock, but now will be "socketed" so you can pull the stock chip out. In another few weeks, you'll receive the updated chip which you can swap in.

It takes seemingly forever, it costs you a bundle in shipping and an even bigger bundle for the chip, and when it's all finished the ECU doesn't work right with your car. I would gladly trade the $580 I spent on three trips of shipping and the chip itself for a combo APEXi S-AFC and ITC. They'd do the exact same thing, but actually be controllable by YOU.

I tell you what, you want mine? I'll sell it to you for 2/3rds the price -- they want $500, I'll sell it to you for $330 and I'll even include shipping. You send me your stock ECU, and I'll send you my PowerChipped ECU.

Your car will need to be a 2.0L 5-spd with cruise and A/C.

-Red-
Old 10-29-2001, 01:28 AM

Well, I drive an automatic, toast! What the hell is a combo APEXi S-AFC and ITC? How much do they cost, where do I get one and who the heck can install it / mod it? What type of gains can I get? Sorry, this is all very new to me!
Old 10-29-2001, 02:10 AM
Red

Chips suck. Basically any 4-banger non-turbo car bites big ones with a chip, unless it's 100% specifically tuned ON your car, FOR your car.

The APEXi S-AFC and ITC units are different parts, but together would equate to everything you could do with a "chip". A "chip" modifies the fuel delivery and ignition timing, hopefully to give you a bit more power. The problem is, it can never be changed from where it is... You get a chip, it spews X fuel and adjusts Y timing, but it cannot be "reprogrammed" -- you must go buy another one later if you need more/less fuel or more/less ignition timing.

The APEXi units do these tweaks seperately from the ECU, and are user-adjustable. S-AFC changes fuel delivery +/-50% at eight user-selectable RPM points across two fuel maps. An ITC adjusts ingition timing +/-15 degrees across five user-selectable RPM poitns across two ignition maps.

The difference is, the S-AFC and ITC are infinitely tunable by you... You tune them in perfectly for what you have now, and later when you add more parts, you can re-tune them for what you need then. They're simple and easy to work, they "look" better than a chip and they cost the same (or less) with overall better functionality.

Look on Apexi's website for pictures and better descriptions.

As for which Haltech "fits" a Tiburon: they all do. Haltech systems are built to be amiguous, they have no specific fittings for any one car. You make your car fit the Haltech instead. For most Tiburon/Elantra owners, the E6K is the one you want.

-Red-
Old 10-29-2001, 02:37 AM

i got a quote on Haltech for 1k, toom uch. I just got a quote on the ONLY local dealer I could find for a Superchip. They said they would install and tune on the car for about 250-350. Which seems like a much better deal. I'm still waiting till I get my BIM from onpol.
Old 10-29-2001, 02:55 AM

Vehicle: Custom Wagon

Hey Red I have a quick question since you brought up the SAFC and ITC. If I do get this setup do I have to take it to a place to have it tuned on a dyno? Some people say yes and some say no.
Old 10-29-2001, 03:24 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

I would say YES to dyno tuning. Not only do you get to dial in your car for an optimal balance of power and drivability, besides I hear its lots of fun and you'll know about how much whp you are putting down.

I'm thinking I'll have to get the S-AFC and ITC if/when I order a header and cat-back, esp since i'm planning on cams too.
Old 10-29-2001, 03:25 AM
Red

Do they have to be tuned on a dyno? No, if you only plan to use them as a decorative ornament. If you want them to DO anything, then yes you will need them tuned.

Do you know if you need more or less fuel at 3000 RPM's? 5000 RPM's? 6000 RPM's? Do you know if you need more ignition advance at 5500? You probably don't. The only way you can tell is to strap the car to a dyno, roll off some numbers along with a wide-band O2 sensor readout, and adjust the fuel map according to what the car is showing on the wideband.

And no, your stock O2 sensor and A/FR gauge isn't going to cut it. You NEED a wideband, and you need to have the car under load when you're tuning.

If your car is anything like mine, you'll need a lot LESS fuel, and a touch more ignition timing here and there. A superchip is fine and dandy, but is still going to have the problems inherent with any "chip" -- you cannot tune it unless you go to a specific dealer and have them re-burn it. An S-AFC and ITC are tuneable by you, no special interface or software or connection required. If you change out cams and need more fuel, you don't have to spend $300 on SuperChip of America bending you over to tune it again.

-Red-