Hyundai Sonata Forum The Hyundai Sonata Forum. The Sonata (around since 1989) and Hyundai XG300/XG350 (new for 2002) pickup the near-luxury segment for Hyundai. Find out where to get all the luxuries Korea is holding back on (HID, navigation systems, etc.) and how to tune your Hyundai Sonata, Azera, or XG for performance.

NO POWER!!!!!

Old 12-31-2001, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO POWER!!!!!

Hey all I just got a 2001-2002 Sonata H-Matic semi-auto. My God it looks great and its so quiet,but i have a little gripe here:IT'S SO WEAK!Please will someone tell me if this is how the car runs or is there some problem with it(there has to be somthing wrong with it cuz it is in full stock condition and I'm driving it with the acclerator on the floorboard!TO THE NEWSSTAND!?!?!)Im fed up with being eaten alive by Civics,Accords,Lancers and the occasional Volvo...please enlighten me,because i was thinking of buying the 2002 Tuscani after a trade-in cuz it just looks go awesome...but right now, Im looking at a Nissan Silvia S14 that wont leave me eating dust every time round. PLEASE HELP!

Info: mileage:11,347km/2 months.
break-in rpm:<4000rpm
sparkplugs:Hyundai OEM
Lubrication:Shell Helix Ultra non
synthetic
air filter:Hyundai OEM
modification:none
Old 01-01-2002, 12:06 AM

turbo = 1800 for a low boost system
nos = 4-600 for a nice 55,65,75 shot kit =)
Old 01-01-2002, 02:56 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Star with the basics first, like intake and exhausts. Since not too many companies make CAI's for the new Sonata's, you could make your own for around 50-100 bux. As far as an exhausts goes, again, I'm pretty sure there's not many companies that make cat-backs. So go to your local rice shop or muffler shop and have them bend you custom 2.25" piping all the way back, and then purchase a universal muffler and have them throw that on too. Also, get rid of thost stock plugs and ignition wires. Upgrade to something a little better. They won't help you much in speed performance, but they will help out your engine in running a little more smoothly.

You can get a ZEX nitrous kit and hook up a 55 shot safely to your engine (even though it is mostly stock) and you won't have any issues what so ever. Just do some homework on nitrous is you do decide to go that way. Alot of people are running nitrous, and they like it. If you want more crazy power, then a turbo or supercharger will be your next bet. But you definitly don't want those without the basics down first.

Good luck! wink.gif smile.gif
Old 01-01-2002, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

You are in Sinapore. Which engine did you get with your Sonata? If it is the 2.0L beta, you only have 140 HP on tap to move that big sonata, even the 2.4L motor only has 150 Hp. The Sonta is going to be slow compared to the smaller and lighter civics and Lancers with engines of about the same output.

If you do have the 2.7L Delta V6, the 181 HP engine does accelerate the Sonata crisply, but the H-matic tranny is really not made for, or geared for acceleration.

The Turbocharged Silvia will always kick your butt until you either lighten the car or increase the engine's output.

It's up to you to decide if you would rather go with Modifing your Sonata, or purchasing a new Tuscani, or even the Silvia.
Old 01-03-2002, 12:18 AM

Thanks for the facts and figures guys,they were a big help.Hey i managed to get a test drive on the new Tuscani today,damn it looks fine!But the general gripe's the same,it's output leraves a lot to be desired.The same night i got a hold of a friend of mine with a S15 with a JUN-built SR20DET omg compared with so many Hyundais i've driven,both friends and family-owned,i have to admit that Nissan's got one hell of an advantage when it comes to tunability!the bloody thing shot off so fast at the lights i finally realised that the one thing that the car didnt come with was a toilet so i could piss after the whole thing was over!!!Say,why is it that so few companies make tuning parts for Hyundais,besides Shark,Champion Motor Korea and HVE in Australia?Is it because the cars have too little potential,or that no-one takes Hyundai seriously as a marque with any serious performance potential?

I'm really sorry to bother you guys and waste your time with my bull**** but there's really things i wanna understand.

Thanks again! tongue.gif
Old 01-04-2002, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Hyundai sells about 25% of the Volume that Nissan, Honda or Toyota sell. So the "tuning" market is not as large.

Also, becuase Hyundai is one of the "lower" priced brands, there are more people using the car as basic transportion, and fewer people with the money for modificaitons.

In reality, there are probably a higher PERCENTAGE of Hyundai owners that tune their cars, but it is still a lower NUMBER of them.

Also, It has only been in the last 5 years that hyundai has had the product quality, looks, and sales volume to make tuning a hyundai a viable option.

the Hyundai aftermarket now is where the Honda Aftermarket was 10 years ago. While we will never reach that volume of parts (number of brands offering the same part), we should,over time, end up with at least ONE company offering a part for our cars, if not several.
Old 01-05-2002, 01:02 AM

eek.gif Wow...thats somthing I never knew, I mean I seen these statictics somewhere before but never really beleived them.

Okie, now that I understand things a little better about our market and aftermarker(thanks Random man...)I'd like to ask a couple of questions regarding tuning...

Where can I get info about Hyundai's engine lineup?...and does anyone make cams/crankshafts/pistons/valvetrain kits for these engines? I already seen the Rimmer supercharger system for the Tibby and it's an interesting idea,especially when it comes with an opitionl supposed air to water intercooler. Someone here mentioned an Eaton supercharger...how will this compare with the Rimmer unit?

Also, does anyone out there make lightened components(ie. hoods, bootlids, fenders)for Hyundais...?

Thanks again!
Old 01-05-2002, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Info on Hyundai engines..(props to Fxtreme) http://www.fxtreme.org/concept/engines.htm

Cams? HVE, RPW, HDK, JRP, and many companies in korea.

Pistions, Arias, Ross, and (can't remember the 3rd company)

Valvetrain kits??? Not sure what you are refering to, but HVE or RPW does sell stronger valve springs.

Rimmer is Bankrupt...for the second time.
Your only supercharger options at this time is C.A.P.A. or Alpine. Kore may be coming out with one.

www.sharkracing.com for Hoods and fenders. however, the stock fenders are DAMN LIGHT. I know because I removed mine to put the fiberglass ones on...and I was AMAZED at how light they are. The fiberglass was equal in weight...maybe a pound lighter, if that. The Stock hood weighs in around 41 or 44 lbs. The CF hood I had was about 6.5 lbs. The Fiberglass Hood I now have is about 11 or 12 lbs.
Old 01-05-2002, 06:13 PM

Kudos again to the Random man! Hope I'll be able to post my car's pic here if I ever get it...because there are so many S14s going cheap here because of the recession and stuff. I saw on another forum that this dude with a serious attitude claimed 300+hp with a Tibby, do you think this is even realistic, because if it is then I will consider building an identical engine with propably a little more top end, and shod it up with a Burns 4-1 merge collector so the supercharger i intend to run woll be of a little more use shod with the HiCams...

Say, I saw a kit by Veilside for the Tibby God it looks incredible!There is also what seems to be a wide-body kit for the Tibby at a UK site,and I was wondering if it was avalible to the public. Gotta go,

Seeya man!
Old 01-06-2002, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

The wide body kit was the Proto kit. It is no longer available for sale, but when it was, the body kit was about $3000, and then you needed another $2000 to $4000 in suspension mods to move the wheels out to the edges of that body kit.

The beta engine has produced as much as 600+ hp in Korea (with a massive turbocharger, for a drag only car). 300 HP is attainable. I didn't say it would be cheap though! Expect to spend about $3000 to $5000 US dollars to reach 300 HP.