Hyundai Sonata Forum The Hyundai Sonata Forum. The Sonata (around since 1989) and Hyundai XG300/XG350 (new for 2002) pickup the near-luxury segment for Hyundai. Find out where to get all the luxuries Korea is holding back on (HID, navigation systems, etc.) and how to tune your Hyundai Sonata, Azera, or XG for performance.

lights

Old 07-16-2010, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011/hyundai/sonata
Default lights

i want to hook up lights by the floor in the interior and be able to turn them on and off with a switch. so that means i have to mess with the electrical wirings. that wont jack any warranty right?
Old 07-17-2010, 01:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

nah. just run from your cig lighter. in that i mean splice in from the rear off the positive and the ground and nothing will be alterted.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:49 PM

but i heard running the wires straight from the battery is the safest and i wont get any over heated wires and what not
Old 07-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

dude. You have more reading to do before you should trust yourself to do wiring on your car. Safest isn't even the question. If it's behind a properly-rated fuse and on properly-sized wiring, almost any accessory can be "safely" installed in a car. Hassle is the question. The cigarrette lighter wiring is easy to get at, and already has a fuse protecting it.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:16 AM

well i just heard if you hook it up to wrong wires it'll heat up and blow a fuse or something
Old 07-18-2010, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Blowing a fuse is a good thing. It means you didn't wire it correctly, or something strange happened. A blown fuse protects it from becoming a fire. You know those cars you see on the side of the interstate, charred and sitting on melted rubber? That's what you want to avoid. The fuse blowing prevents this from happening.

If you want to run it directly from the battery, you need to have a fuse put on the line. That can be as simple as splicing as cutting the wire and putting a fuse in the middle, soldering the wire to each side of the fuse so it blows before overheating and causing damage.

If you listen to the members here and tap into your cigarette lighter wiring, if anything goes wrong all you have to do is put the wiring back the way it was and replace the fuse. Look into some Wire Taps if you want to take on this task yourself.