Hyundai Sonata Forum The Hyundai Sonata Forum. The Sonata (around since 1989) and Hyundai XG300/XG350 (new for 2002) pickup the near-luxury segment for Hyundai. Find out where to get all the luxuries Korea is holding back on (HID, navigation systems, etc.) and how to tune your Hyundai Sonata, Azera, or XG for performance.

Fuel Injector Cleaning

Old 07-19-2002, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Cleaning

I'm not sure so that is why I am asking. Is it bad to take your fuel injectors out and clean them to unclog them? Thanx.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

It is a good thing to clean your injectors every so often. How often depends on your driving style, conditions, gas quality, etc..etc..

Oh, and don't run them through the dishwasher! tongue.gif

You've got a 2001, how many miles on it?

I wouldn't worry about it if you use good grade gasoline, and run an occasional bottle of fuel injector cleaner every 5000 to 7500 miles or so.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:19 AM

I agree with random If the injectors are really dirty and you can tell then I would suggest going to a shop and have them run cleaner through the injectors! But a good bottle of stp usually does the trick!!

Remember this don't ever buy gas when the tanker is filling the tanks it stirs up too much junk in the system and always buy gas from a reliable station not some mom and pop store with out dated equipment
Old 07-20-2002, 03:10 AM

Well the car I am referring is a 97 Sonata GL V6 with 112,000miles on it. I would take it to a shop but it seems that no one either will do it, or there is the one place that hooks a pressurized bottle up to your fuel line, then they turn the car on it cleans the injectors for a couple mins, but they don't have the hook up for my Sonata sad.gif. So it is okay to take them out and do a little cleaning myself until I can find a shop for a reasonable price to do it?
Old 07-20-2002, 12:22 PM

I wouldn't recommend it just get a good bottle of injector cleaner the $8 dollar plus stuff and a tank full of amoco prem gas and that should do you! You could always do it twice if you really feel it nec!
Old 07-20-2002, 02:54 PM

A high pressure fuel injection purge is much more better than a fuel additive.

Since you have a 97 Sonata with the 3.0L V6 its basiclly a Mits engine. Chrysler also used these in there minivans. You can go to either your Hyundai, Mits or Chrysler dealership and they should be able to to this service.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:37 AM

I always use one or two cans of seafoam every 5k miles and only Amoco Silver 90 in my ride.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:56 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>J@WS 01:
A high pressure fuel injection purge is much more better than a fuel additive.

Since you have a 97 Sonata with the 3.0L V6 its basiclly a Mits engine. Chrysler also used these in there minivans. You can go to either your Hyundai, Mits or Chrysler dealership and they should be able to to this service.</div>I know its a mitsu engine, that is why I don't wanna go to either of the 3 dealerships cause they charge insane amounts and dealers always do. I think I'll just keep looking for a shop, and the dealerships will be me last bet.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:23 AM

OST EDITED:

sorry guys
i was on crack yesterday

What i read was that fuel additives do NOTHING to clean injectors

You want to clean your injectors.... get them done

send them to RC...
Old 07-22-2002, 08:45 AM

If it is a 97 and there is 112,000 miles on it I would expect the injectors being fine. When I went to RC engineering to have my injectors cleaned ($25 per injector) two of them were dripping. The same with my friends Van. Both of those cars though are 90's so it was probably the long sitting that caused the injectors to get dirty.

For injector cleaner I would suggest the Red line S1. That is the bottle addative that all of my friends use. Be careful though, that stuff is thick, if you put too much on at once you can clog the fuel filter. I have heard of that happening, just to let you know.