Hyundai Sonata Forum The Hyundai Sonata Forum. The Sonata (around since 1989) and Hyundai XG300/XG350 (new for 2002) pickup the near-luxury segment for Hyundai. Find out where to get all the luxuries Korea is holding back on (HID, navigation systems, etc.) and how to tune your Hyundai Sonata, Azera, or XG for performance.

3 way versus 4 way

Old 05-22-2016, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Sonata
Default 3 way versus 4 way

Finally getting around to upgrading my speakers and I'm torn between spending a little more on 4 way speakers or cheaping out some and getting regular 3 ways. Is there really that much of a difference in sound between the two types? I'm ordering online so I wont be able to hear them in person so I hope there's someone on here who has used both kind of speakers and can give some good feedback on which is the better way to go. These would be for both front and back speakers in case it matters.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

A 4-way? So it's a sub, woofer, mid and tweeter? Must be something new. I stick to separate drivers.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Any more then a 3 way is overkill IMO. Spend the extra money on a better brand or model 3 way.

Some of the best sounding speakers out these days are Polk audio. I'm a professional musician and these speakers recreate incredible depth and crisp highs for such a moderately priced speaker. I honestly feel their coaxial speakers are just as good or better then the components.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

A 4 way will just give you an extra tweeter...usually called a super tweeter. So it's the mid bass, 2 tweeters mounted on the side, and a small super tweeter in the middle. Usually it's just a gimmick to sell more and you cant really hear much of a difference. Stick with a good quality co-axial (2-way) or 3 way speaker and you'll be fine.