Hyundai Santa Fe Forum The Hyundai Santa Fe Forum. Hyundai's Sport Utility Vehicle discussions here such as the Santa Fe, Tuscon, and Veracruz! Learn what makes these great cross overs and SUV's one of the favorites amongst Hyundai owners.

Will these work for basic maintenance?

Old 12-18-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Santa Fe
Default Will these work for basic maintenance?

I want to get some air tools for basic maintenance like brake jobs, taking engine pieces out, and so on. I dont know much about air compressors or tools so I'm looking for guidance from the pros here. I'm not trying to break the bank so cost is important. Otherwise if none of these will work or if I need to spend a bunch of money I'll just keep using my socket and ratchet kits and do it all by hand.

1/3 Horsepower, 3 Gal., 100 PSI Oilless Air Compressor

Price: $63

25 Ft. Heavy Duty Retractable Air Hose Reel With 3/8" Hose

Price: $58

1/2" Composite Air Impact Wrench

Price: $40

3/8" Professional Air Ratchet

Price: $19

13 Piece 1/2" Drive SAE Deep Wall Impact Socket Set

Price: $24

Total: $204
Old 12-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Good night man, I spent $200 on my compressor at 50% off, and I consider myself under-equipped! It's a good thing those tools are cheap, because you might be buying a lot of them if you use them a lot.

But to get yourself started, if you don't mind the stuff being Chinese, you seem to be off to a good low-budget start.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

That compressor will barely fill tires. You might get one lugnut loose before you have to wait for it to refill. Do yourself a favor and get a good compressor. Usually around Christmas, Sears will have a compressor and impact gun combo on sale. It'll run a few hundred but the compressor will last you several years before you need to upgrade it. The other tools are fine for basics, but when they break, upgrade, don't replace with the same tool.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

you can find a decent compressor on the local used sites pretty cheap. You'll probably want something with a higher p.s.i rating. That one would be good for light wood trim work around the house but not strong enough for some tougher jobs you may come across with the car. I would bet you could find a decent used compressor really easy AFTER Christmas.

As for hoses and tools, watch for sales at Sears and Home Depot on complete kits (or again check out the used sites). The tools at Sears and Home Depot might not be top quality, but if they are just for occasional home use you should be fine. I use some store brand tools for work everyday (adjustable wrenches and screwdrivers) and they seem to hold up just fine. Some higher priced tools just aren't worth the extra bucks IMHO.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

I bought an upright single cylinder compressor and sure wish I'd had gotten the dual cylinder. Any oilless ones you get are so noisy I can't stand them.

As far as a 1/2" impact get a good one or don't bother.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

On the contrary, if all you are doing is occasional light duty, cheap chinese 'crap' tools will probably serve just fine. Handle them with care and don't try to go using them 24/7, and you can bust lugnuts & flywheel bolts ok with a cheap impact - otherwise there wouldn't be a market for them.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

For just a little more, go with this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Powermate...KIT/203652667/
Old 12-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

And this too:

http://www.sears.com/index-g.html#/d...?source=online
Old 12-20-2013, 04:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

If anyone wants a cheap 1/2" impact let me know I have two I don't use. I'll sell them cheap. The one I have and use the most is a Chicago Pneumatic and it still will not bust some stuff loose. It's not the best one they have, the cost was around $150.