Hyundai/KIA RSS Feeds RSS Feeds and News Links From Around The World...

Rendered Speculation: Already rakish Hyundai Sonata slims down to two doors

Old 04-28-2010, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai
Default Rendered Speculation: Already rakish Hyundai Sonata slims down to two doors

Take a good look at the 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The Korean competitor is obviously designed to go up against cars such as the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry and Nissan Altima. But, unlike those generally staid sedan, the Sonata features a rather rakish, swept-back design that has earned it plaudits among the motoring press and consumers alike.

In order to properly compete with the aforementioned Accord and Altima (though not the Camry - Toyota cut its losses on the slow-selling Solara coupe), the Hyundai Sonata needs to be offered in a sportier two-door configuration. Will it happen? Though the Korean automaker isn't willing to confirm anything at present, it's certainly a distinct possibility that development of such a machine is well under way.

According to Inside Line, a Hyundai Sonata Coupe could arrive late in 2011 or early 2012. If that's the case, Theophilus Chin's excellent rendering of such a machine seems likely to be spot on. As pointed out by IL, the presence of the Genesis Coupe would probably mean that a two-door Sonata wouldn't be overtly sporty, but the availability of a 2.0-liter turbocharged four with 274 horsepower could go a long way towards spicing things up a tad.

So... what do you think?

View the full article
Old 04-29-2010, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Damn...if they come out with a Sonata Coupe....with the 274 hp boosted engine...that WILL be my next car without a doubt! Screw the Genesis! laugh.gif

While at the same time....if the Sonata Coupe does come out....the pricing for GC's will drop to the point where it might just be too good to pass up for a used GC.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

That would be the secks!!
Old 04-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Meh, too big for a sedan IMO.

Put the Sonata 2.0t in the Forte Koup or Forte hatchback and I'll buy it. I've looked, I think they plan on a turbo option in the Forte.