Hyundai/KIA RSS Feeds RSS Feeds and News Links From Around The World...

Pikes Peak Prep: Autoblog joins Rhys Millen for Hyundai Genesis PM580 test session

Old 06-17-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai
Default Pikes Peak Prep: Autoblog joins Rhys Millen for Hyundai Genesis PM580 test session

RMR Hyundai Genesis PM580 - Click above for high-res image gallery

The El Toro Marine base in Irvine, CA has seen its fair share of automobiles. The open runways are a playground for sports cars, and on any given day, you can find high performance driving schools or testing sessions utilizing the vast expanse of pavement. This week, however, El Toro was on the receiving end of something very, very different. Rhys Millen and the rest of his crew have been hard at work over the last six months creating a monster of an automobile built for just one thing - win the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. They have brought out the car, dubbed the Hyundai Genesis PM580, for a test and tune session ahead of race day on June 27.

El Toro seems an unlikely place to test a car that will be making an ascent up a 14,000 foot mountain, but Rhys told us it's actually quite ideal. The runways offer nearly identical amounts of traction as the paved portions of the mountain course, and provide more realistic feedback than the smooth surface of a racetrack.

While this might sound like an opportunity for serious hoonage, the Millen camp is all business. Their mission is simple: climb Pikes Peak in less than ten minutes. The team knows that everything has to be perfect if they are going to achieve their goal, so their preparation is methodical and meticulous. Many have tried to break the ten minute mark in the past twenty or so years, and while many of come close - very close - none have been able to do it. However, after spending a day with Millen and his crew, we think he's got the potential to do it if anyone can. Make the jump to find out why.

Gallery: RMR Hyundai Genesis PM580 Test Session

View the full article
Old 06-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

My calendar is marked. smile.gif

It's also the same day a new series of Top Gear starts.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:30 PM

Vehicle: 05 Hyundai Tiburon SE

I can't freaking wait!! and then On July 10th Formula D is here and we are going and hopefully we will get to congratulate him on his win and get pix again. This year I am going to wear the crew shirt hubby got me for my birthday!!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 09:40 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

so for the first time EVER, he will beat the 20 minute mark?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

The 10 minute mark.

The current record is just a hair over 10 minutes.

His run in the Genesis Coupe last year was 12:09. He's aiming to go over 2 minutes faster. Obviously it's a far better car, but 2 minutes is a hell of a lot of time in a race like this.