Hyundai/KIA RSS Feeds RSS Feeds and News Links From Around The World...

Pikes Peak 2010: Tajima dominates third practice session, sets qualifying record

Old 06-25-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai
Default Pikes Peak 2010: Tajima dominates third practice session, sets qualifying record

2010 Pikes Peak Hill Climb Practice Day 3 and Qualifying - Click above for high-res image gallery

A few lessons learned from my second day on Pikes Peak:
    [*]If you don't like cold weather, then watch the race on the bottom part of the course. After experiencing the freezing temps at 14,000 feet, I came better prepared this morning with more layers and hand warmers. I needn't have bothered. Even at 4:30 in the morning I was comfortable in a light jacket. Who would've thought that being 9,000 feet above see level would feel so good?[*]Don't forget sun screen at high elevation. The sun feels twice as harsh in the thin air. I'll be peeling for weeks.[*]You can't drink too much water in Colorado. Despite downing what seems like gallons of water, I still feel more dried out than a saltine cracker. I guess that's what happens when it's 85 degrees out and humidity is only at ten percent.[*]While I know why they split up the vehicles into three groups for practice, it's kind of a shame. You have to choose between seeing a different set of vehicles or seeing a different area of the track. I chose to stick with the same group since I wanted to follow the battle between Millen and Tajima.[*]The spectators here are insane. There are basically no rules for where you can or can't stand, so just about anyone can stand a foot off the road while the cars fly by. Sideways. Towards a cliff.[/list]While it couldn't top my incredible experience the previous day, the third day of practice brought plenty of excitement. The lower portion of the course has huge stretches of pavement that provide plenty of space for the drivers to fully open it up, and even more importantly, it's this section that serves as qualifying for the race. The top qualifier in the Unlimited class gets to choose when he wants to start on race day, which can be of huge importance if weather comes into play. Follow the jump to learn how the last day of practice went, whether any of the drivers think they have a chance at breaking the elusive ten minute mark and a few choice words from Millen and Tajima.

Gallery: Pikes Peak 2010: Practice Day 3 and Qualifying

View the full article
Old 06-25-2010, 07:00 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Who would have thought The Monster would be so funny? When asked whether he had a movable rear wing like Millen, Tajima replied "No, mine does not move. I move!"

laughing3.gif
Old 06-27-2010, 09:01 AM

http://www.usacracing.com/ppihc/ppihc_live

live video coverage right here.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:54 AM

Vehicle: 05 Hyundai Tiburon SE

We have been watching it for almost 2 hours! Its been really interesting to watch. We are looking forward to see Rhys run!! Fingers crossed that the rain holds off until then!!!
Old 06-27-2010, 12:11 PM

yeah me too! of course F1 in between and now i'm back. has Rhys already run?
Old 06-27-2010, 12:19 PM

NO he is next but hasn't gotten to the starting line yet! oh man the waiting is gonna kill me. The monster didn't get the record.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:27 PM

yeah especially when it's not televised!! it's hard to believe Tajima didn't beat the record.

they're bringing him up woo! here we go!! i hope his transmission doesn't blow. i bet they've been working all night to repair it.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:34 PM

Its been hit and miss with life feeds but you can listen to it live http://www.krdo.com/141736/page.html
Old 06-27-2010, 12:38 PM

Thank you!! bowdown.gif Funny they called it the Batmobile. All the people were looking at it. It's always great when a manufacturer shows up at one of these events.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:44 PM

Yeah!! It was great to hear about the difference between his car and his dad's car!!