Hyundai/KIA RSS Feeds RSS Feeds and News Links From Around The World...

Hyundai mulls shift from India on labour woes

Old 05-08-2009, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai
Default Hyundai mulls shift from India on labour woes

South Korean car giant Hyundai said Friday it may shift production of its premium i20 hatchback to Europe from India due to labour trouble, hindering an Indian plan to become a global auto-export hub.

It would mark the first time a foreign company has taken such a step because of labour problems since India started opening up to overseas investors nearly two decades ago.

The production move from Hyundai's manufacturing complex in the southern Tamil Nadu town of Sriperumbudur to facilities in Europe would also cast a shadow over India's ambitions of becoming a major auto exporting centre.

"This (shift) is an option we're considering," Hyundai Motor India corporate communications head Rajiv Mitra told AFP.

He said there was still a "cost advantage" to making the i20 in India "but that is going away with the labour situation not being very friendly."

His comments came as employees resumed work Friday at Hyundai's Sriperumbudur site following an 18-day strike over workers' demands for union recognition and pay hikes.

"We've a lead time of two months (for exports) so if they get delayed it's a problem and 90 percent of the i20 exports are to Europe so there's a lot of sense to do it (manufacture) there," Mitra said, adding that a final decision should come in this financial quarter.

Hyundai Motor India Ltd, a unit of Hyundai Motor, is India's second largest carmaker and largest passenger car exporter.

The strike was the latest in a series of recurring labour problems at Hyundai's complex near Chennai, which employs around 10,000 workers.

A shift would involve moving production of 70,000 to 80,000 units of the i20, said Mitra. The company hopes this year to roll out 120,000 of the five-door car, which was launched late last year and is only made in India.

The communications head said infrastructure problems -- India is known for its dilapidated ports and roads -- and currency fluctuations were also "eating into margins."

"It's not a very bad option to manufacture in Europe," he added.

However, shifting i20 production would not affect output of the Santro, Accent, Getz and other models Hyundai makes at the plant, which has total annual production capacity of 600,000 units, he said.

Global carmakers have been setting up in India, seeking to exploit its low wages and tax changes aimed at spurring foreign car sales.

Auto heavyweights such as Hyundai, Ford and General Motors of the United States and Germany's Volkswagen also have been looking towards the domestic markets of India and other emerging nations to offset sluggish Western sales.

India has been seeking to draw foreign investment but labour disputes and deadly clashes over plans for Special Economic Zones and other projects have put question marks over its industrialisation push.

Plans by South Korea's Posco to build a 12-billion-dollar plant in the poverty-stricken eastern coastal state of Orissa have met huge opposition from farmers objecting to loss of their land.

Last October, India's top vehicle maker Tata Motors scrapped plans to build the Nano, the world's cheapest car, in West Bengal state after violent protests by farmers who alleged their land was forcibly seized for the plant.

View the full article