Hyundai/KIA RSS Feeds RSS Feeds and News Links From Around The World...

ab-b ZF CEO cites 9 speeds as "natural limit" for transmissions

Old 11-07-2012, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai
Default ab-b ZF CEO cites 9 speeds as "natural limit" for transmissions

Filed under: Technology, Ford, GM, Hyundai

How many is too many? When you're talking the number of ratios offered in automatic transmissions, it seems the industry is always interested in adding one more gear; four-speeds turned into five, then six, seven and now eight. Where will it all end? According to Stefan Sommer, CEO of transmission maker ZF, nine is the ultimate endgame.

"There is no hard line, but you have to consider the law of diminishing returns. The question is whether adding even more gears makes sense," he said, speaking at the Automobilwoche Congress in Germany. Back in July, ZF North American president Julio Caspari voiced similar statements, saying that today's best automatic transmissions are very nearly perfect - just 11 percent shy of their theoretical apogee - in efficiency.

Does this mean the race for more gears is officially over? Don't count on it. Automakers ranging from Ford and General Motors to Hyundai are all rumored to be working on automatic gearboxes with as many ratios as you have fingers and thumbs. As we're so often reminded, it seems the mine-is-bigger-than-yours marketing ethos will always be in play...ZF CEO cites 9 speeds as "natural limit" for transmissions originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 07 Nov 2012 09:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

View the full article
Old 11-07-2012, 09:04 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I don't understand, modern engines have very wide power bands. I could understand a 10 speed box if it was bolted to a beta with a T51R hanging off the side, but otherwise what is the actual point?

I would like to ride in an 8 or 9 speed automatic. Just to see what the hell is going on as you drive it down the road.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

There will be very much hunting, but the shifts will be smooth enough you don't notice, is my guess!

The question is whether adding even more gears makes sense
We reached this point at six. Five was pushing it, but okay. Seven and we're already making comparisons to bicycles.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

My 2009 FWD CVT Murano, purchased in 2008, has had zero shift shock for the past 100k+ miles. You can't tell when it switches gear, no matter how close you pay attention.

7 = bicycles? What about 8 in the new Genesis Coupe?
Old 11-07-2012, 10:24 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

thats cuz the murano doesnt have gears to change in the first place