Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Hyundai Hybrids (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-hybrids-70/)
-   -   tranny swap? (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-hybrids-70/tranny-swap-3595/)

JAWS 021 08-23-2002 03:56 AM

tranny swap?

Im guessing
NO!
but just incase... freakin red has me paranoid about blowing up my tranny... again..

Any tranny close to fitting the beta?

Since the evo engine resembles the beta... what about the tranny?

Or is the non existent differential from quaffie our only chance for a bullet proof tranny? sad.gif

Or should i do a autotragic tranny swap with some level 10 pOwA?

[ August 23, 2002, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: JAWS 021 ]

DESIGN 08-23-2002 04:10 AM

I think that we should try to source better parts for our trannys then trying to find another one to fit. It seems that the main issue in the 5 speed is the synchros falling apart and cousing more damage. Anyone know of where or how we could find stronger/better replacements over the oem ones?
What are the other major concerns? We have an option for LSDs so what else? I read, and Random has mentioned, having the gears chryo treated to reduce metal fatique. Someone else has mentioned casting flaws in the fork. Anyone know of a place that can cast a better one based on the oem specs?

Angelos 08-23-2002 04:13 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>JAWS 021:
Im guessing
NO!
but just incase... freakin red has me paranoid about blowing up my tranny... again..

Any tranny close to fitting the beta?

Since the evo engine resembles the beta... what about the tranny?

Or is the non existent differential from quaffie our only chance for a bullet proof tranny? sad.gif

Or should i do a autotragic tranny swap with some level 10 pOwA?</div>Some guys here in my country use the tibbys tranny modified of course up to around 300ponies...

Your best choice if you plan to keep your tibby is to buy the bloody Quaffie...You pay once and you have it for a lifetime....

I hate when i am in a turbo tib and when you try to engage 2nd gear it whistles like crazy sad.gif sad.gif

So buy the quaffie no matter cost if you are running crazy boost :D :D

JAWS 021 08-23-2002 04:14 AM

I think the syncros are bad in only the new trannies... my 1st gen has 80K+,... with no problem

So i dunno...

For Quaffie... you need to find someone willing to do the eclipse swap

So $$$ on top of $$$

An Evo tranny has AWD potential
tongue.gif :D tongue.gif

[ August 23, 2002, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: JAWS 021 ]

Shadohh 08-23-2002 04:35 AM

Automatics are worse then the manuals. dont even think of putting one of them in. The level10 upgrade with jsut the torque convertor wont help **** with a turbo. You need the ful valve body job. The main enemy in the auto is the heat, and a performance torque convertor wont help you there.

I would think a diff would cause more stress on the internals of the car and the axles, because its forcing the power to the wheel with the tractions.

with an open diff, which is what we have simply sends it to the spinning wheel.

[ August 23, 2002, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Shadohh ]

JAWS 021 08-23-2002 05:37 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Shadohh:
were an opend iff, which is what we have simply send sit to the spinning wheel.</div>which makes things go snappy snappy
frown

Shadohh 08-23-2002 09:37 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>JAWS 021:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Shadohh:
were an opend iff, which is what we have simply send sit to the spinning wheel.</div>which makes things go snappy snappy
sad.gif </div>actually know. How can it snapp? The wheel is spinning it has not traction, so no resistence.

With a real diff, it will send the power to the wheel with traction, and traction is a resistence which will cause the snappy snappy, as you stated.

[ August 23, 2002, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Shadohh ]

xxTIBxx 08-23-2002 10:25 AM

level 10 does trannys for us..it cost around 3200.....that includes torque converter and body valve work......

Shadohh 08-23-2002 02:00 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>xxTIBxx:
level 10 does trannys for us..it cost around 3200.....that includes torque converter and body valve work......</div>Most ppl only talk about the Torque Convertor upgrade for about $600. And thats what he is talking about. that only.
Which will not save your tranny with boost smile.gif

They also offer a valve body job which is $3400 hundred on its own. These prices were form 6 months ago, so you might be able to get both for $3200 now.
and its rated at 300whp. atleast it was smile.gif

JAWS 021 08-26-2002 01:22 PM

then minus selling the manual ecu and tranny
1000?
thats not that bad

beats trying to adapt the evo tranny

then again... you dont have AWD potential frown

Shadohh 08-26-2002 03:43 PM

you plan on getting $2200 for your manual tranny and ECU? AHAHAAHAHAHA

You will get $1000 at most. $700 for the transmission parts and $300 for the ECU. And their is no such thing as a manual ecu and a auto ecu.

Hyundai uses one standard ecu, and has a TCM for the automatic, its a sperate device, not combine like ford does.

[ August 26, 2002, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Shadohh ]

JAWS 021 08-26-2002 04:20 PM

no man... i ment i will sell it for 1000

I think someone would rather trade ecu's than to have all the CEL problems you and 2unique had

A straight ECU swap would make things simpler

AHhhhh... the hell with this

Quaffie is my only choice

Shadohh 08-26-2002 07:04 PM

Trading ECU dont do ****.

As I said. Hyundai Makes a Generic ECU.

Putting in an ecu from a manual car will sitll cause a CEL. WHy? Cause like I said, Same ECU.

You need to rewire your ecu to put it in manual mode.

How exactl is red making you paranoid? Transmission should hanlde 250whp and if you are making more WHP then that, then you certainly have the money into buying a quaiffe transmission smile.gif

Or what I would do, it cyro the standard tranyy
it makes the whole unit stronger.

JAWS 021 08-27-2002 05:35 AM

250whp... muahahaha
im going for 50 more buddy
wink
Ill eventually get an LSD... but for now im working on getting the 300whp first

Shadohh 08-27-2002 06:44 AM

::points to what he said:: If you can pay for 300whp, you can pay to get the tranny beefed up.

Local transmission shop or cyrogenics shop.

300whp is alot of power.

why not ask onpol what he is doing, he seems to know his **** very well.
I am sure he has plans for his transmission.

If you tranny is not properly prepped for such power you can lose it all. tranny, wheels, axles, engine parts....

What are you doing about your axles?

[ August 27, 2002, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Shadohh ]

JAWS 021 08-27-2002 06:54 AM

i trust the axles at 300whp

i dont trust the differential

Shadohh 08-27-2002 08:53 AM

Why not just get an older diff, and get just the diff frozen? thats if you wanan be cheap about it.

skierd 08-27-2002 12:13 PM

Isnt the part that cause the diff to fail one of the pins in the diff? I think a lot of the neon peeps simply weld that pin in place to stop if from sliding out under load and breaking the diff. I'd get it cryo-treated too.

I also remember onpol saying something about twisting axles at 225whp.

Shadohh 08-27-2002 03:01 PM

Yeah, but onpol twisted his axles at 225whp, with a elcheapo Phantom Grip LSD.

To be honest, you put a real LSD in their, and alot more is going to be broken just axles.

But, if you wanna try it. Let us know what and wen you broke smile.gif

JAWS 021 08-28-2002 08:03 AM

i dont think korea has had any problems with axles

im guessing its the ****ed up phantom grip LSD

Noel 08-28-2002 08:38 PM

I hear about three cars with BETA turbocharged engines with a trans from Scoupes. They said that are a lot stronger that stock Beta trans but you got to modify a couple of things. Since they swap this trans they never have problems with them again.

Now ONPOL will begin with this project eliminate his trans problems. The only problem is that you will have closed ratio gears, better acceleration smile.gif but more fuel burned. frown

JAWS 021 08-29-2002 02:05 AM

didnt the S coupe have the mitsu engine?

Dopeskills 08-29-2002 02:16 AM

As I recall.... UFB was offerring an upgrade for the 5 spd Beta tranny.

The KORE drag axles might not be a bad idea either.

JAWS 021 08-29-2002 02:29 AM

UFB???
wow
i didnt know that

As for axles... you can get stronger axles, but your differential will still shatter into millions of pieces

The old mitsu galant tranny would rule

AWD!!!
tongue.gif

Quaffie is the only solution, unfortunately frown