Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

swap problems

Old 01-03-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 elantra
Default swap problems

Hey all. I have a 2003 elantra with a bad rod knock. It has a 2.0 cvvt engine and auto trans. I replaced the engine with a 2004 tib 2.0 cvvt engine and trans. All connectors were the same on the engine and trans. I have good spark at all plugs, I have fule to the rail. engine will not start. no backfire.tiny tiny sputter if i hold the throttle open.

ecu maybe???

I have double checked the fireing order, the cyl numbers the coil numbers. all check out.

HELP PLEASE
Old 01-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Were you able to test the engine in the donor car? Can you put a video up of the problem so we can see/hear?

new trans is a/t?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:49 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

There could be some dirt in your injectors and/or fuel rail dude. Will it fire with aerostart injection?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:30 PM

new trans is auto like the old one. I was not able to hear it run in the old tib (should have bought one with a warranty)

I have sprayed starting fluid into the plenum, and into two spark plug holes reassembled air duct and replaced plugs. NO bang ,sputter,nothing at all. just cranks away.

anyone deal with a smartra disable system?

are the tib and elantra ecu compatible?

starting to loose it!@#$%^^&^&

the cvvt solenoid has the wires broken off on the new engine. would that make it not start at all?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Ah, stupid computer ate my response. Cliffs: the coil of the solenoid should just be a resistance to the computer, if that. Easy to fool with a resistor. The sensors off an engine with rod knock will be good enough to swap onto a non-starter, and I'd start with the crank sensor and swap 'em all. Are you sure you get fuel from the injectors?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Start with the basics...after cranking pull a spark plug. Is it wet? If not, you're not getting fuel. Check the fuel system (pump, fuze, lines, filter)

If it's wet, then you've got fuel, but no spark

That spark plug you just pulled, leave it attached to the plug wire and ground plug against HEAD/Intake Manifold or Engine Block (WEAR RUBBER GLOVES). Have someone crank the engine. Do you see a spark firing? If not, there's your problem. Check your coil packs, plugs, plug wires, Crank Position Sensor and Cam Position Sensor.

If you've got Fuel and Spark...your problem is air...or ECU.

Easy enough to test for air. Leave throttle 1/4 cracked and crank engine. If it won't start, and the plugs are wet (but have spark) when you pull them...then things MIGHT get ugly.

If Fuel, Spark and AIR are all good...then you've got a wacked out sensor somewhere. Check them all. TPS? Cam Position Sensor, Crank Position Sensor, Knock Sensor, MAF/MAP and TPS Chances are one if them is reading screwy. If you've got access to an OBD-2 reader, it will make life much easier. You should be able to get a static listing of all sensors values with the ignition on...then check the values with the engine turning. If anything goes wacky once the engine is rotating...you either mixed up sensors/plugs or youve got a bad sensor.

Check for wet/gassy spark plugs first. If they are dry, I's probably either a fuel pump circuit(blown fuse) or clogged fuel rail or something similar. Did you reuse YOUR fuel rail and YOUR injectors? If not, consider it. Who knows what condition those injectors were/are in, ditto for that fuel rail.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

As far as smartra goes, I'm pretty sure that only the key and the smartra unit are paired. However, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try it with your old computer! When doing the engine swap wiring for my car, we couldn't just imitate the smartra signal to fool the elantra computer, so you might need to have the holy trinity of key, computer and smartra as well.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:49 PM

UPDATE.....pulled fuel rail with fuel line still on and had daughter crank it lots of good spray. pulled all plugs and grounded them all with my son cranking and saw good bright sparks from all plugs. tracked down the tib computer, it only has one plug in not two like mine but tried it alone / with mine and no luck. i'm going to swap all the sensors next, then pull the head if I don't have luck. we will see.........
Old 01-10-2012, 03:49 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

is the timing belt broken? could be a possibility if it has been checked.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:20 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

swap out the crank position sensor see what happens-...