Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Rear Wheel Drive Transmission

Old 07-30-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1996 Hyundai Accent 3dr
Default Rear Wheel Drive Transmission

I was wanting to know if Hyundai or someone else has a rear wheel drive transmission that fits on a 1999 Beta I engine? I was wanting to make my 1996 Accent into a rear wheel drive. Any suggestions would help.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

You'll spend an insane amount of money trying to do it (literally THOUSANDS of dollars). Not worth it, and you're better off just buying a car thats already RWD.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

money or time, one. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head would probably cost more than your car. Then you add the labor.

The easier thing to do ("easier") would be to get a Subaru of almost any sort which was rolled or T-boned and rob the entire drivetrain and floor out of it.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Your best bet IMO is to buy a transmission of your choosing and have an adapter plate made.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the answers, yes I do have a lot of time and I do all the work myself so I just need to buy parts. I would like to keep Hyundai parts and not make a cross-breed car already done that. I am a muscle car guy and my stepson got me into imports after working on his car and his friends cars supras and 240s. What automatic trans would hold the power of a built 2.0 Beta I engine. Maybe 300HP.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:53 AM
Administrator

Automatics start posing a problem because of the TCM and difficulty making any Hyundai automatic work without a bunch of additional work to ensure that the transmission still thinks it's in the right car, etc. Not too many people swap the automatics around.

You basically have the automatics in the Genesis Sedan and Genesis Coupe that are all Hyundai and RWD. To expand to KIA also you have the transmissions from the 2002-2009 KIA Sorento 2WD. There are at least two 5 speeds and a 4 speed automatic to choose from. There is also the Pony and Stellar with Mitsubishi RWD configurations, and I know that the Stellar at least had an available automatic.

Honestly, I think those are all going to be difficult to pull off. None of them bolt to the Beta, and everything except for the Pony and Stellar will have issues making the TCM work properly. If you are willing to use a manual at least you don't have to worry about the TCM. I know some times an auto is required, but if it's not the project is a lot easier.

If it was me, and I wanted it to be RWD and automatic using the Beta, I would make an adapter plate and grab something like a 700R4.

I hope you're planning on some type of forced induction on this Accent, otherwise unless it's a stripped out race car the added weight of converting to RWD along with putting an automatic behind the Beta will probably negate the additional power, making the RWD Beta Accent slower than a stock Accent with a 5 speed.

If you found a crashed Genesis Coupe 2.0t automatic you could use the engine, transmission, wiring harness, ECU, and TCM to make it work. I have a feeling that even a wrecked Genesis Coupe would cost more than it's probably worth sinking into this project. It would be fun though. smile.gif
Old 07-31-2010, 05:54 AM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't you go with an all wheel drive setup if you took the trans and drive train out of something like a wrecked '09 Santa Fe? I thought they had a beta with AWD. I know RWD was the goal but AWD is always neat and they are automatics.

But I agree this would just be a lot of money and the automatic will slow it down a lot. I would say lots of boost. And the wrecked Genesis would be the option I would go with if I were trying this.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:48 AM

As again thanks for the info. I have a 1996 Accent that I got 4 years ago. Being a car guy I wanted more from the car so 2 yaers ago I got a Beta I engine from a 1999 Elantra for $70. After looking into putting it into my Accent I seen on You-tube that the really fast Accents (mid 8's in 1/4 mile) all run automatics and not manuals. But I was wondering if Hyundai had a trans (auto or manual) that would hold up to that kinda of power, I guess not except for a Genesis Coupe one. And yes that would be expensive, but it would be all Hyundai and neat. My second thought was too take a Ford 5.0 engine, trans and rear and put it into the Accent like a lot of people are doing with Ford Focus. As far as making a drag car I am more looking to make a car that I can drive to the local hang-out and take once or twice to the strip and have fun with. It is more to make something different and have for awhile till I move-on too something else.

My questions are: What manual trans will hold 300HP? Axles I will have made. Front wheel drive. Yes I am using a turbo. As far as a ecu I will use a stand alone.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Administrator

The Beta manual transmission will hold 300hp pretty reliably if you treat it fairly nicely.

As far as the fastest drag Hyundais running automatics, that's true. The Beta automatic is pretty strong if you get a custom torque converter that won't go out. In stock form the automatics are pretty much crap, they go out often and the stock torque converter will only hold about 250hp max.

All modern RWD Hyundai automatics will hold 300hp with no issues.

A 5.0l in a RWD Accent would be a lot of fun. A LS1 would be a bit lighter and have a lot more power, but around here a LS1, 6-speed, wiring harness, and ECU will run you about 4k. It would make a pretty intense car though.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the info on the trans.

As far as the LS1 it is too long that is why I would go the 302 way, beside 5.0 engines, trans, ecu and wire harnesses are easy to find and there are a lot of people making those parts.

I put a LS6, T5 and ford 9" in a 1961 chevy truck short wheel base about a year ago. Me and the wife would have fun in the neighborhood with it LOL. I sold it about 2 months ago to a guy that bugged me for months on selling it, so I gave him what I thought was a high price and he bought it.

Right now I am converting a 1989 Supra non-turbo automatic car into a turbo manual car for my step-son. I told him if he bought the parts I would give him my labor and know-how for free. The motor is built I am right now putting in the clutch in running brake and fuel lines I should be down with the swap in acouple of months depending on if he has enough money for other parts.

After that I would like to do something to my accent (which i plan making faster than the Supra), so right now I am gathering info.