Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Head Swaps

Old 02-20-2012, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Head Swaps

Feel free to flame i'm abit of a nube sorry.

I own a '04 Hyundai Tiburon, the engine is about to go I want to go turbo and have a much more vast aftermarket, so im thinking about a 4g63t swap out of an evo IV-VIII since the engines have the same basic configuration. After quite a bit of research though it looks almost impossible to do with out a trans adapter plate, (And even with that i wouldn't know how to compensate for the loss in penetration of the clutch) or doing a full awd conversion witch requires more time and energy than i care to give right now. So I would rather build the beta II short block and do a 4g3t head conversion with a MS standalone, but first i need to know the compatibly of the Beta series, evo series, 1G& 2G dsm, and galant 4g63 valve train components.Any input would be appreciated.

P.S. I know it can be done a 1G gsx can use a Beta I head wich uses the same head gasket as a Beta II. DSM Grave Yard did sell a beta I conversion but it didn't sell so well since a 2G head is a more simple swap and it flows slightly better.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

How much aftermarket support do you need once your turbo setup is up and running? Sorry but this seems like more effort than necessary to me.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stocker
How much aftermarket support do you need once your turbo setup is up and running? Sorry but this seems like more effort than necessary to me.

There are almost no options as far as cams go with the beta II cvvt (as well as all other valve train components,intake and exhaust manifolds except for ferra valves)unless custom ground. In reality the beta II cvvt is a joke, the mitsu setup will have a better flowing head speed and volume (even with the beta II head street ported). The engine is about to need a rebuild any ways (oil passages are getting cloged and i keep burning actuators) so why not do something cool and unheard of and end up with a bad-ass hybrid motor. I have the time, money, and know how (I think).
Old 02-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I doubt it'll work. Are you sure the 4G63's can use the Beta head? I was under the impression that they could use the Sirius head...the older Hyundai 1.6l, 1.8l, 2.0l, and 2.4l engine, as well as I've never heard anyone claiming to mate the Beta head to a Mitsubishi 4g6 engine or vice versa.

Don't even consider a 4G63t swap, that's my advice. Sure, it has been done, it's not generally worthwhile unless you're an excellent fabricator. The Hyundai Beta engine has all the potential you would need up to the point where you're dumping thousands of dollars into the rest of the Tiburon trying to get that power to the ground. Also, the factory Beta cams are pretty lame for a n/a car, but are actually pretty good for a boosted application.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If your oil system is getting gunked up you are doing it wrong OR else something is broken. Run a commercial oil flush, and then some high quality synthetic oil for a few hundred miles, WITH a Hyundai oil filter. Then check the oil pressure at the head. It almost doesn't matter how old a car is, the oiling on a Beta should pretty much stay clean with no effort beside regular maintenance.

If you're so hot on the Mitsubishi engines, why do you have a Hyundai? It's an honest question. Go for what you love; life is too short not to do. That said, as I said, with something forcing air past the valves (turbo) you don't want too wild of a cam, and stock cams are good for LOTS of power on a turbocharged setup.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

you might be thinking of the sirius engines

Hyundai still used sirius/4G64 based 4 cylinders to power the sonata and optima up until the mid 2000s. So that might explain the mix up. Anyway, the key thing here is bore spacing: how far apart the center of each cylinder is. Then you have to bust out the tape measure and check the head bolt spacing, oil and water galleries, the gasket in general, piston to valve clearance, and probably a host of other things that I haven't even thought of.

Like stocker said, if you have a big enough budget that you are maxxing out the existing head and block, maybe then it would be time to consider a rebuild. Considering there are bulk tibs on here running sweatless 13s and a few running 12s and 11s... yeah.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by 187sks
I doubt it'll work. Are you sure the 4G63's can use the Beta head? I was under the impression that they could use the Sirius head...the older Hyundai 1.6l, 1.8l, 2.0l, and 2.4l engine, as well as I've never heard anyone claiming to mate the Beta head to a Mitsubishi 4g6 engine or vice versa.

Don't even consider a 4G63t swap, that's my advice. Sure, it has been done, it's not generally worthwhile unless you're an excellent fabricator. The Hyundai Beta engine has all the potential you would need up to the point where you're dumping thousands of dollars into the rest of the Tiburon trying to get that power to the ground. Also, the factory Beta cams are pretty lame for a n/a car, but are actually pretty good for a boosted application.

so whats the big difference between the "sirius" and the beta? I thought the 1.8 was just a destroked beta I, or vice versa.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Stocker
If your oil system is getting gunked up you are doing it wrong OR else something is broken. Run a commercial oil flush, and then some high quality synthetic oil for a few hundred miles, WITH a Hyundai oil filter. Then check the oil pressure at the head. It almost doesn't matter how old a car is, the oiling on a Beta should pretty much stay clean with no effort beside regular maintenance.

If you're so hot on the Mitsubishi engines, why do you have a Hyundai? It's an honest question. Go for what you love; life is too short not to do. That said, as I said, with something forcing air past the valves (turbo) you don't want too wild of a cam, and stock cams are good for LOTS of power on a turbocharged setup.

What could i be doing wrong engine timing is fairly self explanatory engine TDC Intake and Exhaust cam marks straight up, install timing belt apply tension an tighten belt-tensioner, drain old oil fill with new oil (always Castrol GTX or Valvoline high mileage 10w-40 I've ran lighter weights, but in Texas I kinda like a higher viscosity) install new filter and done. The car has been abused for the last 11x,xxx Mi.. Also to my knowledge Hyundai is based of mitsu that's why the 4b11 and the theta are almost interchangeable.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
Hyundai still used sirius/4G64 based 4 cylinders to power the sonata and optima up until the mid 2000s. So that might explain the mix up. Anyway, the key thing here is bore spacing: how far apart the center of each cylinder is. Then you have to bust out the tape measure and check the head bolt spacing, oil and water galleries, the gasket in general, piston to valve clearance, and probably a host of other things that I haven't even thought of.

Like stocker said, if you have a big enough budget that you are maxxing out the existing head and block, maybe then it would be time to consider a rebuild. Considering there are bulk tibs on here running sweatless 13s and a few running 12s and 11s... yeah.

I've compared head gaskets Beta I-II, EVO IV-VIII, DSM 4G63, and Hyundai 4G63. Bore spacing & head bolt openings look the same across the board, but all have have similar but different looking water and oiling jacket openings would it be possible to tap the block and head and run an AN line to and from for each I won;t have to worry about having correct oil pressure up top since i will no longer have cvvt; so long as I have the volume for the oil and a good rate of flow for the coolant I think it could work maybe possibly.

As far as building the beta goes Its been done multiple times multiple ways the same can be said for the DimaStar engines even more-so, but I haven't to see a hybrid, As far as just buying an evo goes I think they're kinda over priced and ulgy.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:55 PM

I know talk is cheap and showing actual results and progress is more interesting, but I would just like to get as much info on the idea before I jump in to a project. As far as fabrication experience goes I've modified frames and engine mounts cross members and suspension systems just never on an FWD mostly on 4X4 or RWD.