Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

exhaust cam swap

Old 06-03-2002, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust cam swap

after doing some reading in the search feature,... i have concluded
that
no one has done this

The older tibby engines have the best exhaust cam (not sure how much)

If anyone has tried this
Can you please post
gains?
install bugs?
details details details

just reading up before i attack my engine

im guessing my intake cam will have to come out
oh well
Old 06-03-2002, 06:55 AM

this might be helpful for future search reasons

Im sure the same for the intake cam applies to the exhaust cam

if so;
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Random:
Tighten the bearing caps to the specified torque in two or three steps as shown.

TORQUE SPECIFICATION
Bearing cap bolt 12-14 Nm ( 120-140 kg·cm, 9-10 lb·ft )

Using special tool, camshaft oil seal installer (09221-21000), press the camshaft oil seal. Be sure to apply engine oil to the external surface of the oil seal. Insert the oil seal along the camshaft front end and install by driving the installer with a hammer until the oil seal is fully seated.
</div> <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Red:
The Elantra cam is "sufficiently lumpy" that it could cause mechanical issues further down the road. It would be best only to use this cam in a motor that Hyundai will warranty, or that you are comfortable with working on if it breaks.
-Red-</div>DOH!
im guessing this cam wont like boost that much
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>SnuckUpOnU510:
heres something that will help you NOt snap your journal bolts......TORQUE SPECS!!!!!!!!!!!
10 ft-lbs on all journal bolts, no more, no less.
make sure you havbe a freind to crank your engine so that the intake cam (to the rear) has its little dot (you'll see it on the far right of the cam) is facing up, that eases installation by hours and you dont have to mess with your timing at all. i hope this helps</div>What if we want to mess with the timing, if we are going boost?
Arg,... time to do some more searches
arg
Old 06-03-2002, 07:07 AM

Jaws,
The 97-2001 Tiburon's (2.0 L) have the same exhaust cam in them (the most aggresive).

I believe the newest Elantra engines (MAP based only here) and the 2003 TIburon have a slightly less aggressive exhaust cam.

Looks like from your sig you have a 99...you already have the best "stock" exhaust cam we can get
Old 06-03-2002, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Reid-

Jaws021 and I are building up a 2001+ MAP based elantra motor to swap into his Car. We will be using the "old" MAF based IM and TB.

So the exhaust cam in the "new" motor is not as good as the exhaust cam in his current motor. We are thinking of swaping out the "new" beta exhaust cam for the "old" beta exhaust cam, and see how it goes. I just worried that the old "HLA" cam will not like the "new" Shim over bucket lash adjuster setup. However, I don't really think there is any way to tell unless we try it.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:17 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Reid:
Jaws,
The 97-2001 Tiburon's (2.0 L) have the same exhaust cam in them (the most aggresive).

I believe the newest Elantra engines (MAP based only here) and the 2003 TIburon have a slightly less aggressive exhaust cam.

Looks like from your sig you have a 99...you already have the best "stock" exhaust cam we can get</div>i believe 97-99 have the best exhaust cam
im not sure on this,... i cant find the post on the differences between engines

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Random:
I just worried that the old "HLA" cam will not like the "new" Shim over bucket lash adjuster setup. However, I don't really think there is any way to tell unless we try it.</div>Dude, thats not something i want to be hearing,..lol eek!
Im already starting to worry about the GT cam breaking stuff sad.gif
Oh well,... i pretty much answered my install questions, all i have to do is open up my engine so i can understand everything that i just absorbed
wink
Old 06-03-2002, 09:42 AM

You going to use the MAP to try to get it to detect boost?
Old 06-03-2002, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Shadohh:
You going to use the MAP to try to get it to detect boost?</div>Nope, that would require an ECU swap, which is beyond the scope of what we're doing.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:18 PM

I see, you are using a MAP based engine with shims. But you are plugging it into the stock MAF system?

What particular reason a MAP based engine? Or is that just what ya happen to find and buy?

I am assuming its being built outside the car and then swapped for turbo?
Old 06-03-2002, 10:04 PM

Ahh, I definitely missed that part of it! wink

When I put the Elantra GT intake cam in my engine, I didn't see any noticable difference in the cam lobe width, but I wouldn't be able to tell you about the exhaust...I would think it would work, but you will know better.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:35 PM

Do the 1.8l Tibs (97-99) carry the same exhaust/intake cams as the 2.0l?

Rich.