Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Does your insurance company know about your swap?

Old 06-27-2012, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 accent gt beta swapped
Default Does your insurance company know about your swap?

Mine doesnt :biggrin:
Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Mine is still an automatic on paper.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:03 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by HyundaiKitCoupe
Mine is still an automatic on paper.

mine too
Old 06-28-2012, 07:37 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

It's more expensive but I always list my modded cars at a value rather than as X vehicle. In the unfortunate situation something does happen I'll get reimbursed for my investment and it makes the insurance company less "junk it" hungry when a dealer fender is no longer half the value of the car.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Explaining a long list of boring/small modifications to disinterested receptionists on the phone?

Cruel and unusual punishment. Nup.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:21 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra GLS Sportswagon

It depends on the value of your vehicle, in my case the value of the mods out value the redbook price of the car and without a mod permit the vehicle is deemed un-roadworthy thus un-insurable.

Also why waste money insuring the vehicle at all as in the event of an accident or the car is stolen the insurance assessor is not your friend he works for a insurance company looking for ways not to pay out on claims .

And if you don't list all the extras they are not covered.

We had a few recent situations here in Perth where a victim of a aggressive home invasion has had his WRX stolen and used and damaged in a crime to be told his vehicle is not covered by insurance as it had unlisted mods....
Old 06-28-2012, 11:34 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

my derp pile hasnt been driving much in 4 years, its been insured under basic liability and will probably continue in the future

i actually save money by insuring the pile, it gives me a multi car discount that is actually lower than the price of insuring the j2 alone

pay something like 30 bux a month for liability, discount gives me like 33 a month

lets face reality, a stripped out j2 with dents and paint falling off is gonna get like 1200 from the insurance in the event of something bad happening to it

if i insured it higher, id end up paying more a year in insurance for it than the car would be worth

if it gets smashed, ill probably salvage what i can and either swap over to a new body, or part it out and start somewhere else
Old 06-29-2012, 01:31 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

lets face reality, a stripped out j2 with dents and paint falling off is gonna get like 1200 from the insurance in the event of something bad happening to it

-if i insured it higher, id end up paying more a year in insurance for it than the car would be worth

-if it gets smashed, ill probably salvage what i can and either swap over to a new body, or part it out and start somewhere else

Thankfully, that's the same boat that I'm in. I just have liability, it does the trick.

Imagine if the insurers wouldn't pay out if you had worked on the car yourself...
Old 06-29-2012, 02:58 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra GLS Sportswagon

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
Imagine if the insurers wouldn't pay out if you had worked on the car yourself...

Some insurer's don't pay out if you had worked on the car yourself or you've made yourself like my fiberglass rear is not, if the unthinkable [cry] happened I'll come up with a bogus company
Old 10-08-2012, 08:11 AM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

my answer to that question would be..do they even know what the stock engine is supposed to look like?

geico cancelled my policy cause they saw a cai and aluminum pedals in my lc when i owned it..

and ironically..they offer policies on motorcycles which are more likely to crash and speed..

obvious signs of butchered wires and cruel welding jobs, and missing nuts and bolts and hoses would probably trigger something..a kia spectra Beta valve cover on a elantra would probably have them scratching their heads.