Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Deathtoll of Alpha Tranny on Beta Motor

Old 01-14-2010, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1995 Scoupe Turbo GTR
Default Deathtoll of Alpha Tranny on Beta Motor

Hey Hey all.

I havent asked this question yet on this forum but here i go.

The Hyundai Performance .co.za Workshop no longer does Beta swop's onto accent gearbox's becuase they say, within a week the Alpha tranny gets chewed up and that was on a 1800 motor and if a beta is turbo charged you will be lucky if it last a day.

now i understand that that was their finding's but it cant be that bad cos then no one will recommend it would they?

my replies from hp.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kennman;782602)</div><div class='quotemain'>i have it installed for more than 1 year, around 25.000 km, if works like a charm i also heard stories about alpha trannies dying, but mine made it, without a problem. I have an eaton m62 supercharged beta aacent with 195 hp.
greetz</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (superman3000;782613)</div><div class='quotemain'>i got about 50 000 miles on my beta swap and still purrs 1.8 beta with 99 alpha trans</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (omgbossis21;782629)</div><div class='quotemain'>my friend who did the beta swap did so on the 1.5 tranny for quite awhile and beat on it with no problems. My gearbox has taking one hell of a beating but now im just about due for some syncros =-(</div>

I have the scoupe turbo gearbox, and my car made 200kw 400nm, thats alot more power than a N/A Beta will ever make and my gearbox held up just fine.

what is your guys thought and comments? and what even more important who has real life experience with this question?

Many Thanks

ST1
Old 01-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

No personal experience, but after seeing the result of many swaps I would say that it comes down mostly to how you drive and how good of an install you have. The people having their axles pop out and/or leaking fluid from the axles pretty much all blow their Alpha trans. The people fond of 6000rpm clutch dumps usually blow their Alpha trans or axles, especially if they have tons of power and wide sticky tires.

A lot of people who Beta swap use the Alpha trans and it lasts them practically forever. Either those people drive relatively carefully (even if they drive it hard) or they have good luck.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:29 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Accent GS

I am on my 4th Alpha tranny! The first gear in the trannys are worth nothing. I take my car to MIR in Maryland a lot and have yet to learn my leason. The first two times was with nitrous at the track and the third time was with the turbo street racing. I have learned not to race in first gear at a dead stop or for that matter a rolling start in 1st or 2nd gear. The 3rd time was also due to the tech that did the install on the clutch did not do a proper alignment of the clutch.=( Think God are trannys are cheap and I have friends that I can buy some beer and food for the labor. But over all I have not had any problems what so ever. The clutch and tranny I have now installed has lasted for just over a year now.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:43 AM

After reading that i think im going to abort the beta swop. Im my country gearboxses are the same price as motors. . . Why do you say first and second gear is useless? Is it that there is no traction or because if you nail it in those gears it will break?
Old 01-16-2010, 12:48 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

don't give up! Will the beta tranny fit in the scoupe? I have a beta swap with beta tranny and don't have any issues at all, runs like OEM.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:44 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ereeves116 @ Jan 16 2010, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>don't give up! Will the beta tranny fit in the scoupe? I have a beta swap with beta tranny and don't have any issues at all, runs like OEM.</div>
i wanted to run the alpha tranny because it will work out MUCH cheaper as i could reuse my tranny and shafts. Im sure the beta tranny will fit but what modifications will i/did you have to make? Custom shafts? New mountings? New linkages? New shifting cables? Has anyone read the post on hp.com about alpha tranny break threw? Were they put beta internals inside a accent box?
Old 01-16-2010, 03:49 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Accent

I think you're going to need custom mounts either way because the Scoupe mounts are on the engine block and the beta mounts are on the transmission, at least in the US they are.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:38 PM

Beta internals into a alpha tranny

http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/n...y-modified.html
Old 01-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

I helped pull an accent trans off a beta motor that manage to throw its output shaft into the bell housing, but that one had a nut driving it so it was just slliiiggghtttllyyy abused.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:16 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

my original alpha tranny went out because i was doin clutch dumps and burnouts, i first noticed this when the tranny was clunking when i was turning and driving around corners, the diff was badly galled, lesson learned,

bought 2nd tranny for $150 and still going strong, but no burnouts for me