Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Cost for a new BETA???

Old 09-04-2002, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost for a new BETA???

My '97 tib has a 1.8l w/ 101,865 miles and quite frankly i'm debating just getting another BETA w/ lesser miles. I don't know if the motor is going to be a problem later, but just to prepare myself, how much am i looking at for a motor swap? Should i stay 1.8 or go 2.0l? The reason i ask is i think i remember Random saying a 1.8l is better than a 2.0l for turbo purposes but cheuk said all the koreans stick with 2.0l for turbo. But what makes the diff. if the 1.8l and the 2.0l are so similar? Can i swap a 2.0l in my '97 5-speed with ease? or do i need a new ECU? I hear BETA I motors are pretty cheap but is considering a BETA II have any cost effectivness? Wudduya guys think?
Old 09-04-2002, 07:26 AM

Well i just swapped a beta II project motor into my car...

My old one is for sale

Which engine is better?
We wont know until i blow up... nobody with a beta II has gone turbo... So i guess ill be a test dummy

All i have is upgraded pistons... Hopefully the rods will hold up

Either engine should be fine since your going to be getting engine work done for your turbo
Old 09-04-2002, 10:30 AM

Have you considered looking into a V6 swap...WAIT...DON'T FLAME ME YET.

Maybe you can do a little research on behalf of those in search of the holy Delta swap. If you need a new engine, maybe you could look into what kind of mounts you would need. Now, the new 2.7L Delta would be harder to find, but the older one with 171hp would be easier. If you wanted to stay N/A and around 200hp...I would be looking into it...and I am, but I have to find the time. I have been so busy lately my head is spinning. I am only looking into it, and I am not saying it wouldn't cost a lot, just want to know what it would take...and I have heard every bit of speculation on this subject so please save your "It won't work" and "turbo a beta is cheaper"...it maybe, maybe not.

I have seen Beta engines as cheap as $200 on ebay...so they are dirt cheap. That one only had 60,000 miles on it [keyword: Hyundai]. Hell of a deal if you ask me.

The only thing that has turned me off about turbo at this point are the lack of reliability in the current choice of turn key systems. I know a couple people with the Alpine, and they have nothing but troubles. Although, if you have a reputable pro shop down there, they could do a custom turbo to your specs. Here in Miami we have such a place that even will make a manifold for you.

Another option could be buying an extra engine, and building it up before you put it in(that's what she said). You could do cams, HLA, springs, cam gears, all that stuff, and then swap it in. That would be the ultimate choice for me, but living in an apartment limits my space...no garage.

Ok I am getting a bit long winded...so I will quit now. There are just a plethora of options for you at this point.

[ September 04, 2002, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: HE-MAN ]
Old 09-04-2002, 10:40 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Have you considered looking into a V6 swap</div>You relieze that you are working with 2 different engine platforms and whole NEW frame ie: GK and ELANTRA frames are concerned
Old 09-04-2002, 10:52 AM

Yes I know. But the new platform is still closely related to the previous one. I believe there are only some reinforcement issues and some added cross bars and such. From what I remember reading (if I remember correctly) its just an update like the Beta I and II. There was a dicussion about doing it to a 2002 Elantra which has the new frame, so that would be more plausable, however...it really just comes down to the motor mounts, tranny mounts, and wiring.

[ September 04, 2002, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: HE-MAN ]
Old 09-05-2002, 03:13 AM

Well, He-man if i had all the time and money in the world, i still probably wouldn't get the DELTA due to it's lack of tuning flexablilty. Besides, i need something like that $200 BETA i can just DROP in ya know? Droping in a motor is so much easier since the Hyundai engineers figured it all out for us. I do like the idea of buying a $200 BETA, building it up and then swaping. That might fit my budget.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:07 AM

That sounds like what I would do to. I would love to be able to take an engine apart and just build it up with cams, ported head, TB...all that stuff.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:31 AM

OK man...

BETA ENGINE 120whp 120 tq (avg)
DELTA engine 150whp 155 tq (avg)

I would not spend an extra 3k do drop a delta in my car... its only an extra 30K and i have a limit on the power output

Im going for 300whp... the crank on the delta wont even last past the 220whp-250whp area

Put a 55-65 shot on the beta.... and youll be able to spank a delta silly

If i was to do an outside swap i would get the Lancer Evo engine and slap it in my engine bay
MORE POWER, TURBO INCLUDED, and no custom frame cutting

It will drop in with less modifications than the v-6

We spoke about this before... and its kool that your trying to be different... but when it comes to performance
Its not worth it

Once your done with your swap 3k-5k $$$ not including tranny, ECU, engine, axles, ect

Youll still loose to a ba$tard beta with a 75

People who wennt to the so cal race meet can speak for this...
My average was low 15's to high 14's
Average for the GT's with CAI.. high 15's to low 16's

AS a matter of fact... click on the 1/4 time on my sig
the timesheet on the left was against a GT

Being different is kool... thats why i got a Tib... good luck on your swap

[ September 05, 2002, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: JAWS 021 ]