Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Beta swaps

Old 06-30-2010, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Accent GL 2002
Default Beta swaps

Hey guys!

With beta swaps, what truly is the point, and what is the potential of it?
If I take a newer elantra or tiburon, would I do it so I have more performance or for better millage?

Looking around ( I couldn't find a faq about betas) what would i need for the beta engine to be compatible, and how much does a build like this cost?

I'll add any questions i forgot tongue.gif
Old 07-01-2010, 06:06 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

People do it because theres more horsepower and more of an aftermarket for the Beta engines than Alpha's (whats in your accent now).

For the most part, its a pretty simple procedure. The beta engine is almost a direct drop in. You'll need the engine, and beta ecu for sure. The Alpha transmission will bolt up to the beta engine, but usually people do the beta engine and beta transmission together when completing the swap.

Im sure others can chime in and talk more about it. smile.gif
Old 07-01-2010, 10:57 AM

Ah okay, I think my car is a 1.5l though, so I would have to replace more I presume?
Old 07-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Nope, still an Alpha.

Look for jsharptooth's DIY in the Hybrid section.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:20 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent

wat the difference in these two motors other then the vin starting with a different letter............. http://www.everdrive.com/partdetails.aspx?sku=4000969 and this one.......... http://www.everdrive.com/partdetails.aspx?sku=3379020 . and other then the price. i know there out of diff cars.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:55 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (03hatchetback @ Jul 2 2010, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>wat the difference in these two motors other then the vin starting with a different letter............. http://www.everdrive.com/partdetails.aspx?sku=4000969 and this one.......... http://www.everdrive.com/partdetails.aspx?sku=3379020 . and other then the price. i know there out of diff cars.</div>

Yeah i saw that too and was a bit confused. Possibly the elantra engine is rated differently as it's a 4 door.
Also I'm thinking of getting a newer engine. Possibly a Beta 2 for more reliability.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:34 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

well if you're interested in the swap, first of all make sure you research as much as you can before you start. get _all_ the parts you think you will need before you start anything. there are five possible beta engines you can use. there is the beta 1 1.8 and 2.0, the beta 2 1.8 and 2.0, and the beta 2 2.0 with VVT. there isn't a world of difference between the engines in terms of power output, but there are things like solid lifters and better sumps on the later engines. the beta 2 without vvt is the only one to use a MAP sensor, so if you are swapping into a chassis that was using a SOHC 1.5 you will need to modify the wiring loom.

generally X3 accents do beta 1 swaps, LC/2 accents do beta 2 (non vvt) swaps. that will give you the least troubles overall.

in terms of cost, it depends on how cheap you can get an engine. other than that there isn't much to buy. just a clutch, a custom engine mount (any fabrication place can do it), possibly a new computer + wiring harness. of course you can always spend more money on new parts and freshening up the new engine but that minimum can get you through.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:03 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

at least for US market Beta's and Alphas. You will see about a 50hp increase for about a grand (cost of dropping in a Beta, I believe the cheapest recipe for this is 1.6l LC if you want to drop a Beta I or X3 and an pre 00s Beta) and then the bigger after market leading to more upgrades such as better turbos or pulleys, cams, etc.

in most cases a beta is an increase of 0.5 liters (1.5-2.0) if you have the right car and are trying to drop the right engine this can be an over the weekend project, just make sure you buy the right car and engine combo, and get your mount fabricated and have all the parts (ECU, Engine, Mounts, etc)
Old 07-04-2010, 01:46 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent

so out of those 2 the cheaper one would be the best for my lc2?
Old 07-04-2010, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

The second motor, from a 01 elantra i believe is beta 2. The other is for sure a beta 1. U want the beta 2 in your LC2