Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

automatic to manual

Old 05-02-2002, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic to manual

does anyone know where i can get a shift kit or a kit that can turn my auto into a manual(ive heard of a kit that can override the computer and turn it into a manual tranny)for my 2002 spectra?
Old 05-02-2002, 10:00 PM

I was wondering about this also... anyone know about something that would work for 03 tib?
Old 05-03-2002, 01:11 AM

I just did this to my '00 tib about a month ago. You need:
tranny
master & slave cylinder
shift linkage
shift assembly

It took 6 days for me and my friend to do this in a garage without power tools, tranny lift, etc. If you have any questions, let me know. I still have a check engine light, but the car runs fine. I took the TCU out, but I think there are jumpers that the factory puts on the auto sensor connectors so the ECU doesn't get a signal. The wiring harnesses are the same for auto and manual, they just tape extra connectors up in the car; there's basically no way to get to those connectors either, unless you feel like taking your whole dash off and trying to cut the tape off of all of the wire in your harness to get at the connectors (i.e. clucth pedal button).
Old 05-03-2002, 01:14 AM

You're talking about an auto-manual SWAP. They are talking about the device that lets you shift your auto as if it was a manual. Just trying to clarify...

Err, at least I think that's what your talking about. Otherwise I don't see why you would've listed needing a tranny, etc...
Old 05-03-2002, 01:14 AM

Now that I think about it, you also need a hell of a lot more than what I listed before. It took me 8 months to figure out what I needed and to order it all. I spent about $2500 for all of the parts. I have some left over, but better safe than sorry. One thing is that autos and manuals have different radiators because the auto has an oil cooler that runs through the radiator. I bought a new radiator, but didn't feel like changing it, so I just looped the oil cooler lines. I think that may be causing my CEL, but the car runs, and that's all I care about.
Old 05-03-2002, 01:57 AM

if your talking about some kind of pts system where the auto will allow you to shift like a manual then go to www.levelten.com
they sell torque converters that will take half a second to a full second of quarter mile times as they stated so maybe expect them to be a little lower than that and the pts system

check with them for pricing, i think you have to call.
Old 05-03-2002, 02:21 AM

thanx for the site i was talking about shifting my auto as a manual they call it a pts shiftronic and its about $1100 which doesnt seem to bad to me.. thanx alot
Old 05-04-2002, 11:10 AM

I'm doing some work to my 01 Tiburon with some people at levelten.com, they specialize in transmissions. They also have a device that makes it so that you shift your automatic like a manual and it won't cause problems. While you're looking at their lists it doesnt list many cars, however they still may have yours, either email or call them asking them whether or not they are able to beef up your particular type of cars transmission, for instance my car is going to be getting a transmission beef up, able to hold 3x more hp then the stock Autotragic can hold, and it'll take off faster then a 5-Speed (Skims off around 1/2-1sec off of 1/4mile) Alright then. Hope that helps at all.
Old 05-12-2002, 10:10 PM

Vehicle: 00 elantra

Why type of work are you getting done for it to take off faster than a 5 speed. How much total is this? (dont have to answer just want to compare to a new new 5sp trans.) Thanks.
Old 05-13-2002, 12:13 AM

its cheaper than a 5spd swap.. trust me lol
and alot less of a headache in SOME cases

i love autos to death and i think they are the future and better when it comes to overall speed
BUT you will never replace the fun factor with the manual even with the pts
nothing beats having fun with the clutch