Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

accent engine swap

Old 11-14-2001, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tibster
Default accent engine swap

Is an engine swap with a tib engine a tough job and would it require extensive additional work to get it going? Also, how would I go about getting a tib engine? What do you think the odds are of finding an engine that's in a descent condition in a junk yard? Thanks guys
Old 11-14-2001, 07:50 AM

check the hybrid forum on hyundaiperformance.com
There is complete instructions and pictures and lots of great stuff.
Old 11-14-2001, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Ditto to what DESIGN said. Yes, it is possible. Yes, it is a fair bit of work, but doable. Do an internet search for "Longblock" and "Hyundai" and you will find engine resellers.
Old 11-16-2001, 06:50 AM

Random, or whoever else has some experience with this, I found an engine in a salvage yard with 9k miles for $500 and another guy to install it for $575. He had some questions on the injection system and if he needed to use the one on the 2.0L engine or if the accent ones would work. He also had a question on the wiring harness since the 2.0L has as MAS sensor as opposed to my current MAF sensor. If this install isn't too difficult, this is a dream come true. Well, before I get too excited please bring up any other possible problems I might have with this swap. The installer said he would put everything in and make sure it's all hooked up, but if he couldn't get it to run in like an hour, he said he'd give up. Thanks a lot
Old 11-16-2001, 07:50 AM
Red

I don't know what your Accent has now, but the 2.0L motor uses a MASS AIR FLOW sensor, also known as a ... guess? MAF!

The BETA motor will NOT bolt to the accent tranny without modification to the bellhousing, will not bolt to the stock engine mounts, will not accept the same ECU, same wiring harness, same injectors, same intake or exhaust manifolds, or the same accessory brackets.

You will need the entire engine, accessory bracket assemblies, all manifolds and all wiring components to support the swap.

It's not a $575 ordeal.

-Red-
Old 11-16-2001, 08:08 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

The accent tranny will not hold up anyways. The syncros die. You need the entire longvlock, which is better in the long run becaue the tibby tranny has more parts available for it.

From what I have been told, the Beta DOES bolt up into the LC (2000+) accents. The x3's will need some modifications to fit. You will need a new wiring harness. The ecu can be piggybacked, but its better to get the tib ecu.

KORE sells low mileage beta motors for $1000. That includes the engine, tranny, and ecu. HVE can most likely supply you with the necessary compnonents for the swap.

Its DEFINITELY not a $575 job, more like $1000 for install. And it will take longer than an hour. Still cheaper than forced induction, and its nice and sneeky.

You might even be able to keep the waranty (its an OEM part!!) *wakes up from delusion*.
Old 11-16-2001, 08:22 AM
Red

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Originally posted by skierd:
You might even be able to keep the waranty (its an OEM part!!) *wakes up from delusion*.</div>

LOL! Wake up indeed

-Red-
Old 11-16-2001, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I have a 99 accent and basically I'm just looking for the cheapest way for an engine swap. The research that I've done says that the engine fits in my car with minor modifications to the front engine mount. As far as a new tranny, wiring harness, sensors, manifolds, and brackets, wouldn't I be able to take them off the tibby as well? I guess I'm looking for a list of everything I'll need to give the installer so he can do the complete job. Hmm... maybe I should ask the guy how much for the whole tib. Thanks again