Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

2003 Engine Swap?

Old 05-09-2002, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Engine Swap?

I've got a 2003 Tib GT 6-speed. Is it possible to buy a beta/I4 (?) engine and swap the V6 out? I want to throw a mean turbo in my '03, but the delta engine won't handle it. So, if it's possible to get a new engine and fit it in there--this be pretty sweet (along with the 6-speed tranny)!

Obviously, my other option would be to trade in my V6 for a 4-cyl...
Old 05-09-2002, 04:43 AM

The six speed will not mate up to the BETA. It will only mount to the V6. If you want to do the swap you'll need the tranny and either a ecu from the four cyl model or a stand alone system which would be the recomendation if you are going turbo.
Old 05-09-2002, 04:44 AM

Let's trade, I have a 2000 Tib 5 speed with only 6500 miles. wink
Old 05-09-2002, 04:54 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>ItaliaTib2K+3 (in another thread):
I was thinking of something similar last night. I've got a 6-speed V6 and am considering trading it for a 4-cyl 5-speed. The "weak" V6 engine isn't as tuner-friendly as a beta. And with my plans to go turbo, the I4 would be the best option. (Unless SR really has some suprises under their sleeves).

Anyhow, I called my dealer today and he told me that the trade-in would only cost me about $2500...</div><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>a1snag:
Let's trade, I have a 2000 Tib 5 speed with only 6500 miles. wink</div>Now this seems like a viable solution. wink
Old 05-09-2002, 09:22 AM

There isn't any evidence to support the claims that the V6 cant handle a turbo or supercharger...in fact there is a supercharger for it in the works...I saw a photo of it around here somewhere.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:38 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>mateus:
There isn't any evidence to support the claims that the V6 cant handle a turbo or supercharger...in fact there is a supercharger for it in the works...I saw a photo of it around here somewhere.</div>Acutally there are LOTS of claims of that. The V6 has some weak internals and can handle a small SC, but not a turbo. This has been discussed a bunch of times allready. I know there was a link and pic shown the other day with a V6 modded from Korea I think with a turbo, but it took alot of internals to do it.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:45 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>REDZMAN:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Acutally there are LOTS of claims of that. The V6 has some weak internals and can handle a small SC, but not a turbo. This has been discussed a bunch of times allready. I know there was a link and pic shown the other day with a V6 modded from Korea I think with a turbo, but it took alot of internals to do it.</div>Yeah, about $15,000 later...
Old 05-09-2002, 10:27 AM

Give it a year or so. Don't go panicking that your 2.7L block is weak and you have to run to an I4.

The 2.0L block wasn't as perfect as it is now. Hence why there is a 'A' and 'B' Revision. I don't have a listing of the differences between 'A' and 'B'. I don't think it was block strength, but looking at the 2.7L, it is going to become the 2.0L for the mid to upper level lineup.

Hyundai did survey's to the Korean public before creating the 2003 Tiburon. That at least means that they are talking with their customers to see what they want.

In other words, there are no doubt ties there that will be saying the V6 is weak. So what do you think Hyundai will look into doing, for the engine thats being used currentally in 3 of their vehicles.

R e s e a r c h & D e v e l o p m e n t !

I am not complaining about my V6 yet. If in 2 years theres no stronger block that I can tune, I m selling my Tib 2K3 and buying a VW/Audi.
Old 05-09-2002, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The V6 tends to break things at about the 250 wheel HP mark. So 200 or 225 should be fairly safe. (you're still riskin things here).

A low pressure turbo or supercharger would work. Developing a low pressure twin turbo or single turbo on a V6 would be cost prohibitive and pointless.

A supercharger is already in the works.