Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

Time to replace my battery?

Old 10-17-2016, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Time to replace my battery?

My car has never had any problems starting until this weekend. I let it sit for a couple of weeks without driving it which I thought would be fine but when I went to start it on Sunday, it was dead. Not to the point where everything inside didn't work but it didn't seem to have enough juice to start the car. I jumped it and it fired up. I drove it around for about 30 minutes, brought it home and let it sit for another 5 or 6 hours. Went to start it and it did start but it struggled a little. I didn't drive it today so I'm sure the battery is probably dead again. Considering the battery is going on close to 7 years old, should I just accept the fact that this thing is toast and I need to get a new one?
Old 10-17-2016, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

7 years is outstanding service life for a starting battery. Get a new one.

edit: get it tested at a major chain auto parts store for free if you like, but it's likely on its last leg at best, by now.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2013 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Originally Posted by darthvadergenesis
My car has never had any problems starting until this weekend. I let it sit for a couple of weeks without driving it which I thought would be fine but when I went to start it on Sunday, it was dead. Not to the point where everything inside didn't work but it didn't seem to have enough juice to start the car. I jumped it and it fired up. I drove it around for about 30 minutes, brought it home and let it sit for another 5 or 6 hours. Went to start it and it did start but it struggled a little. I didn't drive it today so I'm sure the battery is probably dead again. Considering the battery is going on close to 7 years old, should I just accept the fact that this thing is toast and I need to get a new one?
You can get it tested if you like but unless your charging light is on, your battery is probably shot. If you have a voltmeter measure the battery voltage, if it's 12.8v it is fully charged, anything under 12.2 is suspect. If it fails to start measure again and if the voltage is around 8-10v, you have a dead cell and it's new battery time. Best prices on batteries for these is at Walmart, Sam's Club and Costco.