Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

Testdrive of v6 Genesis Sedan

Old 08-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ
Default Testdrive of v6 Genesis Sedan

Prices seem pretty standard:
$33,000 base model
$36,000 Premium Package
$40,000 ^+Technology Package

Exterior: Very impressive size, huge trunk, sexy tail lights with a hint of BMW styling. It had 18" wheels with very little fender gap (don't need 20's to make it look good!) and turn signals on the back of the side mirrors.

Engine Bay: I test drove the v6 (v8 doesn't come out 'til September according to the dealership). The big bulky airbox is on the passenger side, with an inlet above the front grill. Removal should free up plenty of space. There seems to be plenty of room to put some nice headers (maybe a twin turbo setup?). The alternator, pulleys, and belts were primarily on the front of the engine, mostly on the driver's side.

Interior: Upon sitting, I was immediately impressed! I recently purchased a 2009 Murano for the simple fact it was the most comfortable thing I could find. More so than the Infiniti G or FX, or Hyundai Veracruz/Tuscon. The Genesis was definitely as comfortable as the Murano. I didn't test out the headrests, but they didn't appear to give the same support as the Murano. Not a big deal in my opinion.

Front Interior: Nice leather wrapped steering wheel - feel reminded me of the 2000-2001 Tiburon. The steering wheel controls were easier to use than my Murano's (volume, bluetooth, radio controls). The dash had a nice looking strip of black leather going across. The leather was beige and the dark wood trim was beautiful (usually not a fan of cheap wood trim).

The gauges were white, and all knobs, digital readings, and accents were blue. Very attractive. The center of the gauges displayed my current MPG in a blue digital readout (btw, V6 sticker estimated 18-27 MPG).

The center display and center console controls were very user friendly. Hyundai offers one-year of XM service for free. I played with the navigation (easy to use search feature by 'typing' a business name or address), the XM/radio controls and phonebook appeared very user friendly. Again, I was impressed.

One hic-up.. it was 92 degrees and the car had been sitting outside. As I left the dealership, the salesman told me about the heated seats (both passenger and driver) and the cooled seats (driver only). So, I pushed the button and waited for the cooling to begin. About 2 minutes down the road, I realized I was sweating! Oops, I hit the heat instead of cool! Within 20 seconds I could feel the difference... a nice coolness in my mid-back, almost like a fan was blowing directly on it.

The glass power sunroof could tilt up or slide back completely out of view (not tilt then slide). The only potential downside is that the cover for the sunroof is manual, you've gotta pull it back by hand.

The rear-view camera was VERY nice. I have it in my Murano, but the Genesis allowed for a wider view and more crisp/clear picture. Very nice. Oh, and when you put it in reverse, the rear sun-shade automatically collapses! Yes, the rear windshield has a mesh-type sun shade that raises up or lowers when not in use. When you put it back into gear, the sunshade will raise back up. There's a button to the left of the steering wheel to control it manually.

The 17 speaker audio system (15 speaker with premium package, 17 speakers with technology package) was impressive. I didn't throw in any rap CDs to test for bass, but the XM radio with the speakers was very nice! I noticed there was a small tweeter grill above my left ear in the roof.

When I turned off the car, the seat moved back, the power-telescoping and power-tilt steering wheel moved to provide easier exit/entrance of the vehicle. With the front seat moved pretty far back, I was able to COMFORTABLY sit in the back seat without my legs/knees touching anything (I'm 5'8 210 pounds). The backseat was very comfortable as well, with air vents on the back of the center console AND on the side near the doors (4 air vents total in backseat). The center armrest had two cup holders, and a "trap door" to provide access to the trunk.

Like many of the new Hyundai vehicles, the back of the front seats have indentions for your knees, which provides an extra inch or so of space. This vehicle could easily and COMFORTABLY fit three adults in the backseat.

The paint was black, with a beautiful pearl throughout. They also had a very nice red color ("Cabernet Red Pearl") inside the showroom.

I grabbed a brochure...
Exterior color options are: White Satin Pearl, Platinum Metallic, Sterling Blue Metallic, Sapphire Blue Pearl, Champagne Beige Metallic, Cabernet Red Pearl, Titanium Gray Metallic, and Black Noir Pearl.

Interior color options are: Cashmere (tan), Jet Black, and Saddle (redish clay)
Old 08-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Ah! The drive... I knew I was forgetting something....

It handled VERY well for being such a huge body. The suspension was GREAT... I went on backroads with lots of twists and turns, and it was just as fun to drive as my Tib. It has a great turning radius and good braking power.. It had very good acceleration for being a ~3,800 lbs. with a v6. I thought it would be very sluggish off the line to get that much weight moving, but it was very responsive. I only had it for a few miles, and didn't have any interstate time (maybe next time with the v8) but the throttle response and torque was more than adequate for my tastes. The calipers looked to be a nice size, though I don't know the specs on them. It was a very smooth and comfortable ride, can't wait for the v8!
Old 08-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I drove it too and don't disagree with anything above. Just figured I would add my own $0.02 and a couple of details I didn't see above.

The tech package 17 speaker Lexicon audio system is only available in the Genesis and in Rolls Royce vehicles just to name drop.

The car has a RF fob not a key. you put the fob in your pocket, walk up to the door and push a button on the handle to unlock it. It also has pushbutton ignition.

The headlights are adaptive, meaning that they move to shine the direction in which you're turning your steering wheel.

I thought the knob control for everything on the premium package was tough to use. I had trouble figuring the thing out just sitting there. I'm sure I would get use to it and love it but it was definitely not as simple as some systems.

The drive by wire programming isn't very aggressive although it's not programmed for senior citizens either. Throttle response was good enough overall although it seemed to get a little confused if you went from part throttle to full throttle really quickly. I'm VERY picky though about throttle response and feel so I don't think most people would mind it at all. The pedal feels electronic (it is) though. I could feel the electronics in it vs. a cable actuated throttle.

The whole interior feels nice. If you hop in a base model LC Accent with all the hard plastic around you before or after the G-Sedan you will be amazed at the difference. Reach out and touch the car like a raver on Ex. Everything feels nice and pleasing. Most surfaces are soft, but the hard ones (metal and woodgrain trim) are smooth and feel solid. The buttons all feel substantial and positive in their engagement with good feedback.

The rear seats are almost sport buckets molded into the bench. It's a bench seat with more bolstering and support than the buckets in most cars. I'm 6'-0" and 300 pounds and I could have ridden in the back of the car all day.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Administrator

yes, I forgot about the RF key fob... same as my Nissan. I wasn't aware of the headlights, that's good to know.

I hate 'cheap' interiors... my wife's 98 mustang feels like a cheap interior. The interior felt very firm (buttons, panels, etc) and definitely NOT cheap.

I do agree that the computer navigation and controls were difficult to understand and get used to... but once you learn it, I believe it's a very advanced in-car entertainment/command center with plenty of features, just takes a day of playing with it. My wife finally figured out the navigation and searching nearby places at the end of the ride.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Another nice feature of the Premium Package is that the dash is leather faced instead of wood. I really don't like wood in cars. When the coupe comes out, it's gonna be a tough choice for me... V8 sedan with some chrome 22's and just cruise, or turbo coupe and continue to destroy my warranty.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure 22's would fit. As I said, it had 18" with not much fender gap.

I was really leaning towards the V8 and pimp it out, maybe put a supercharger on it... but a $45,000 price tag is a huge deterrent. I'd rather have the $25,000 loaded up 4cyl and put several thousand into it making the warranty void.

It was a VERY nice car. Maybe in a few years I can afford a $45,000 toy, but that's highly unlikely.

The leather dash was very nice, but it still had some wood grain on the center console control area, and it wasn't as cheap as most "wood grain"
Old 08-21-2008, 07:38 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent 1.6T

I got to test one of the sedans...great ride...I felt VERY important driving it. ppl kept looking at me like "what is this kid doing in such a nice car?".