Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

Sound deadening

Old 03-05-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Gen Coupe 2.0T
Default Sound deadening

I want to sound deaden my car not for stereo purposes. I want to do it to drown out exhaust and road noise. Is dynamat still the way to go or is there a different type of deadening material to use? From what I have read, dynamat is used to stop rattles and keep stereo sounds inside. So what do you use for the opposite?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Get another exhaust.

My stock exhaust rattles bottles off the shower wall of my house from inside the garage. Adding sound deadening material probably won't help much.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ that. Plus new (quieter) tires for road noise.

That said, get a few cans of spray-on rubberized undercoating and give the wheelwells a good coating as well as under the body pan. Do not spray the exhaust or anything near the exhaust.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:13 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I did my whole car in it years ago. Love the new sound, and the nice *thunk* the doors make when you close them. Took about 2 days total, but was definitely worth it. I think I used Damplifier.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:06 AM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

a cheap alternative to Dynamat is roofing ice shield membrane. Works EXACTLY the same and it's sticky on the back too.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:34 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: Hyundai Genesis 2.0T

Originally Posted by pas1216
a cheap alternative to Dynamat is roofing ice shield membrane. Works EXACTLY the same and it's sticky on the back too.

Wouldn't that make your car smell like tar though?
Old 03-06-2012, 02:03 PM

^^ One of the benefits of dynamat; it's not tar-based. Some other synthetic polymer (looks and feels like tar but does NOT smell like it, or stick to your fingers/stuff like it) that works beautifully. Not wildly expensive either, I think it was only $100-200 for the whole car.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:31 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Originally Posted by Brandon
Wouldn't that make your car smell like tar though?

No, it shouldn't, no more than the tar that the factory installs for OEM sound deadening would. You have to get this stuff at a roofing supply place. Not too sure if Home Depot would stock it?? Could be wrong.

it's more of a rubber membrane than tar or asphalt (but does contain some asphalt)

edit ** I stand corrected, Home Depot does have it, $68 a roll. Probably enough to do the whole car. It's an alternative.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...de=cii_9324560
Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 AM

Vehicle: 2011 hyundai genesis coupe r spec

Originally Posted by StrikeEagle
I did my whole car in it years ago. Love the new sound, and the nice *thunk* the doors make when you close them. Took about 2 days total, but was definitely worth it. I think I used Damplifier.

what all did you cover? i was thinking about just covering the area under the rear seat, like the wheel wells and under the seat itself. im also looking into trying that shark racing sound proofing kit.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:42 PM

^^ I did everything - floors (up to the pedals), under the seats, under the back seats, trunk (except wheel well, but wish I had), doors, sides of the car (next to the back seats), trunk walls, I even reached through a large hole and put it on the back of the sheet metal exterior near the speakers to avoid any reverberations, and the entire roof.

Bascially everywhere that metal was exposed I covered it in sound deadening.

Before. Looks like they have some sort of deadening down there, but I put more down for extra noise reduction:

After:

Door only, but see where I also put some inside the door. Ignore me pointing out where I put my keyless entry holes.

Driving without a seat!

Driving from the back seat!