Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

some nitpick questions about cleaning the inside of the car

Old 07-29-2013, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Genesis 3.8
Default some nitpick questions about cleaning the inside of the car

These questions are for my car where the inside is regularly maintained and so the dash just has some dust, the door panels may have some dirt from shoes and the carpet just has its usual little pebbles and dirt. And I may be nitpicking too much but it always seems there is still some dust on the vinyl by the dashboard and steering wheel and sometimes little pebbles and hair still on the carpet. I use Natural shine protectant for the vinyl applied on a small circle microfiber pad.

1) Do you guys use a wet vac for the carpet? I use a small wet vac that works well.

2) Are you able to get 100% of the dirt/little pebbles/hair from underneath the mats on the carpet and in the crevices by the door? I am sometimes annoyed because I get most of it but there is sometimes still some little pebbles still in the car.

3) What do you use for the dashboard where the radio and the buttons are? I use a small circle microfiber pad and there is always some dust left over.

4) What do you use to clean the little screen on your dashboard where the gauges are?

5) Do you ever clean the steering wheel, (the part where you put your hands)?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2013, 07:30 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

The only thing I ever used to wipe down the inside of my car was a damp cloth with water. Nothing else.

As for vacuuming, I always used a crevice tool on my vacuum at home to get into the tight spots. A trick to use if you don't have a crevice tool or don't want to scratch up the interior panels, is to attach an empty cardboard paper-towel tube to the end of the vacuum hose. You can get it in to some tight spots and it won't scratch anything.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Dry microfibers leave dust. Often a jet of air will blow off the last bit of dust that stays in the corners. Try a Rocket Blower as a source of compressed air that you can always have in the glove box. You might also try very slightly dampening a portion of the cloth to get that last little bit of dust left behind (like, touch the cloth to your tongue). But really, you should make an effort to desensitize yourself to the fact that a car is a rolling dust magnet and save the obsession until just before a show.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:57 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

A stiff brush goes a long way to getting all the stones and fine hairs out of the carpet before you hit it with the vac