Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

Painted or unpainted

Old 02-01-2016, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8
Default Painted or unpainted

When looking at different parts online like grills, wings, lips, etc there is the option of buying them unpainted or painted as long as you supply your paint code. Is it better to spend the few extra bucks to have them prepainted or buy the cheaper option and have it painted at a local shop? How good is the paint on these kind of things and is it an identical match or is it way off?
Old 02-01-2016, 06:53 PM

Vehicle: 2009/Hyundai/Sonata

Well it really depends if the online shop has a list of paint options to choose from. But in my idea it would be better to order it unpainted and have it painted by your local store for better matching and durability.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Usually it's close but not 100% when you have stuff prepainted. The problem is that fresh paint needs to be color sanded and buffed so it matches your current paint. If your car just had a brand new paint job, then it would be almost an identical match. But if your paint is factory or is pretty old, it doesnt have the same luster as fresh paint and anything you install with fresh paint wont be an exact match.

Will people notice it? It depends. Certain colors like reds, blues, and greens show mismatched paint easier than say white, black, and other darker colors. Plus, you may only notice if you're looking at it from a certain angle.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:16 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS

I have mine painted in a local shop.