Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

OBD bluetooth connector draining battery?

Old 10-13-2017, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Genesis 2.0 R Spec
Default OBD bluetooth connector draining battery?

2 days ago, I took out of my OBD bluetooth connector in my Gen to use it on my other car to run my torque app since I had a CEL and wanted to pull the code. When I was done, I put the connector back in the Gen. This morning when I got in it to go drive, the battery was almost dead and the car almost didnt start. Luckily it did though. Could something weird have happened when I plugged the connector back in where it was on a constant draw and kept sucking the juice out of the battery the past 2 days? It's one of those little blue ELM connectors. Strangely also, my torque app wouldnt run in the Gen because it couldnt connect to the connector either now. So something must have happened between taking it out and putting it back in.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

If it's one of those little blue ELM connectors then it probably malfunctioned and kept drawing power but I didnt think they drew that much power, especially for it to cause your battery to die after a couple of days. But those little blue ones are junk. I know a lot of people have had issues with them not working properly. The one I have was about $40 and it's really high quality. Never had any issues.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS

You can disconnect the negative battery cable. Hook a test light between the negative battery post and the negative cable.

If there is a draw on the battery the test light will light up. Make sure everything is off and the doors are closed so nothing else is drawing power. Check it with the OBD2 unplugged and plugged in.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tib

https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...battery-drain/