Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.
View Poll Results: How many Genesis owners have previously owned a Hyundai
This is my first Hyundai
34.62%
I owned one Hyundai before my Genesis
46.15%
I owned two Hyundais before my Genesis
7.69%
I owned more than two Hyundais before my Genesis
11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

I'm curious - How many of your genesis owners have owned a Hyundai previously?

Old 12-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I think it's just asking the question to get a good idea how prevalent that is.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

it's a fair question with an apparent answer. If I was a first time... Mazda owner, I wouldn't know their history or racing teams. Same with Subaru (though more popular) or BMW.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:50 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: Hyundai Genesis 2.0T

Originally Posted by majik
it's a fair question with an apparent answer. If I was a first time... Mazda owner, I wouldn't know their history or racing teams. Same with Subaru (though more popular) or BMW.

I wasn't aware Hyundai had any racing history...
Old 12-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Quite a lot of racing history actually. Mainly rally. AWD 2.0l turbo 300hp WRC Accents are my favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZHlH-kpc_g
Old 12-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Is anybody amazed at the lack of HKC's involvement in this thread? something is wrong in the universe...
Old 12-30-2011, 03:39 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec

Ok, I'll respond then

So my daddy was going to buy me a new car for my Sweet 16. I wanted a Lamborghini convertible but daddy said I was too young ::pouts:: ::frowny face:: but then I saw the Genesis Coupe and went "Like, OH. MY. GOD. It's SOOOOOOO cute! LOLOLZ" And now I have a Honda Genesis Coupe *teeheeeheeeeheeeeeheeeeheeeeheee*

Now being serious...I knew Hyundai used to have not the greatest of reputation, but then I started reading up on how they were taking it seriously and trying to change that image. Even this being the case, I still didn't consider a Hyundai would be on my wish list. To be brutally honest, I wouldn't have even considered Hyundai if it weren't for the Genesis Coupe. This is for one simple reason: RWD. You can argue the advantages of FWD over RWD or vice versa but in my case it's purely subjective. I grew up driving RWD cars and after driving a few FWD cars and owning one, I came to the conclusion that I don't like them very much. Torquesteer bothers me and FWD just feels unnatural to me. This isn't me trying to hate on FWD cars, there's plenty of drivers in here that could pwn me in a race and have waaaay more knowledge about cars then I ever will.

This is the first Asian car I've ever owned period. I've owned mostly BMWs in the past. BMW gets a lot of hype and smug pricks buy them for the badge alone, but I always liked the build quality and performance. After having a horrible experience with my first BMW M car, I decided to start test driving other cars. The Camaro and the 370Z were immediately axed just on their aesthetics. So I test drove a Pontiac G8 GT, and then a Ford Mustang GT. Both were good cars in my opinion but I wasn't totally happy with them. After test driving the Genesis Coupe, I fell in love with it. The car felt great and was built well. Sure, Hyundai cheapens certain parts of the body, but it's really a non-issue for me. I also love the driving position in the Gencoupe compared to the others I test drove.

From my experience of talking to people, Hyundai to this day, has a bad rap. The general, ignorant populace still thinks Hyundai makes crappy cars. I didn't fall for this BS. I did my homework. I didn't know about their WRC involvement, but I knew they were making great strides in quality and reliability and were getting recognized within the industry.

So if it wasn't for the Genesis Coupe, I would have never purchased a Hyundai. I consider that a good thing. Still, I wouldn't have considered Hyundai a bad brand like so many people still do.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:45 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 - 1999 Hyundai Accent Hatch

I never really paid too much attention to Hyundai to be honest. I always give everything the benefit of the doubt so I didn't really garner any ill feelings toward Hyundai. Of course there is what people say, but what the f*ck to they know? I saw the Genesis and said "me want" and here I am over a year later.

I like my Genesis so much I relegated it to summer duty and bought a '99 Accent Hatchback for winter duty. The Accent has ZERO rust on it and the interior is still holding together. Nothing is broken on it, just the regular marks of over a decade of wear and tear. Obviously the previous owner took care of his/her vehicles and it shows. If you take care of anything and give it proper maintenance it will last through the ages.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:51 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec

Originally Posted by segagen
If you take care of anything and give it proper maintenance it will last through the ages.

Unless it's a Chrysler
Old 01-02-2012, 11:27 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Genesis 3.8

I had a 2002 Elantra before my genesis
Old 01-04-2012, 04:22 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

So I have had the following:

87 Hyundai excel 4cyl 3spd

97 Hyundai Tiburon 5spd

2003 Hyundai Elantra GT 5spd

2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT 5spd

2008 Hyundai Tiburon SE v6 6spd

2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T base

Had a few other non hyundais in there as well. Loved them all except the Excel! F-in hated that damn thing