Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

Idiot cut his stock Rspec springs

Old 04-16-2013, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Genesis 3.8
Default Idiot cut his stock Rspec springs

I met another GC owner this morning. I was filling up at the gas station and he rolled in pretty low to the ground. Heard a BOV so I knew it was 2.0. Went over to talk to him and saw the Rspec and 2.0 badges on the back. I asked him what coil overs he was on because theres no way he was on traditional lowering springs. He said he took the factory Rspec springs out and cut a bunch of coils out.

He said it rode fine and didnt see why someone would pay all that money for expensive coils. And get this...he said he got the advice from a senior member at Gencoupe. Morons!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:27 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

That's absolutely ridiculous. They're not engineered to compress correctly when they are cut whereas normal springs are. Did you at least tell him it's dangerous and give him a heads up on Gencope.com?
Old 04-16-2013, 04:48 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

To be fair, it'll probably be totaled before he can do something to hose the springs.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:10 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Genesis 3.8

I asked who the member was that told him to cut his springs. He said it was a couple of people and didnt remember their names. I tried to explain that cutting springs is not the way to go but he wasnt having it. He really thinks hes fine driving around like that and its better than spending money on actual lowering springs or coils. I hope to never be on the freeway driving next to him because if he ever hits a pothole with that suspension, I dont want something flying out and damaging my car. And to who ever the members were on GC that told him that would be ok to do should have their licenses revoked and car taken away. If they are giving that type of advice to other people then god only know what the hell they have done to their own cars.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Not all springs will stay in their perches with even one coil cut, I don't know how the genesis springs are wound. So long as the springs are still very-firmly seated in their perches with the suspension totally uncompressed/drooping, you will be safe cutting coils off springs. The likelihood of very bad suspension geometry is high, increasing with each coil you cut. If you cut out many coils, the suspension geometry may itself pose a separate hazard which it sounds like was the case with this character. The load rating remains the same, but the spring rate increases.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:42 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

What stocker said. Cut springs aren't as bad as you'd think, in terms of acting like springs they are fine. The problems are mainly:

-the ends are cut with a grinder instead of gently tapered. This puts ridiculous point loading on your spring mounts themselves.

-you have no idea what the spring rate is now

But cut springs are just as likely to fall out as lowering springs. Your handling will be just as bad. It's just that lowering springs have a slightly higher entry barrier: you need at least a couple of hundred dollars and the ability to use eBay.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

You can't judge an entire forum by one member providing information. I wish I could see that thread, I would suspect (hope, pray to God) that it was sarcasm taken too literally. If someone did make that recommendation, I would hope there were 20 other people telling him he was an idiot. Of course, taking that approach will get you banned by CrookedH in a heartbeat for a personal attack.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

@ people at Gencoupe thinking thats a worthy mod to do to your car
Old 04-17-2013, 09:40 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Genesis Coupe

Originally Posted by majik
You can't judge an entire forum by one member providing information. I wish I could see that thread, I would suspect (hope, pray to God) that it was sarcasm taken too literally. If someone did make that recommendation, I would hope there were 20 other people telling him he was an idiot. Of course, taking that approach will get you banned by CrookedH in a heartbeat for a personal attack.

You may not be able to judge an entire forum from one member providing bad info. But that whole forum is f*cked, GenCoupe.com is a joke and that knob that cut his springs is just more evidence.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:00 AM

Vehicle: Genesis Coupe

I had a sig that said i cut my springs as a joke.... i got numerous PMs on how to cut springs