Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

How do I protect my carbon fiber hood?

Old 07-26-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Default How do I protect my carbon fiber hood?

I dont know if its true, but someone told me the hot sunny days are bad for my carbon fiber hood if not waxed every now and then... So if this is true (probably is) what is a good wax to put on to protect the carbon from fading? Of course any and all help is always appreciated!
Old 07-26-2015, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I always recommend people get new CF stuff clear coated. Almost all CF stuff is shiny because of the resin, they're not actually clear coated.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:37 AM

Vehicle: Borrowed Getz

The best thing for it is an aircraft polyeurethane paint (clear, obviously) with UV protection. Ask your spraypainter, Valspar & PPG should be able to supply it, but it'll be expensive.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Without a UV protective coating, the epoxy between the carbon fibers will degrade over time with UV exposure. It will turn yellow, then get weaker as the stuff further inside the part gets broken down. Eventually, in theory, the hinge or closure attachment points would fail, or someone would sit on it and demonstrate it's not as strong as it should be.

You'd replace it because it looks terrible a long time before it got weaker. Get the proper clear coat on it and you'll be fine.

ETA: SCIENCE! http://www.scubaengineer.com/documen...02v36p2713.pdf
Old 08-11-2015, 02:23 AM

Vehicle: 07 Santa Fe

I agree on clear coating. Then putting a good sealant will give protection to your hood.