Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

How bad is the gas at discount places?

Old 09-14-2015, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 genesis
Default How bad is the gas at discount places?

Places like Costco, Sams, BJ's and Delta Sonic that sell gas at a discounted rate compared to Mobile, Hess, or Sunoco. Is it all the same or is pretty crappy to put in your car? I like going to them because I can fill up with 93 octane pretty cheap but if Im ruining my car by putting that stuff in it then I'll probably stop and start going to the higher priced places.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

The fuel is probably ok, I'd be more concerned with the age of the underground tanks. Even Mobile 1 stations can sell you bad gas if their tanks are old and leaking.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I sometimes get Premium from BJ's and havent had any issues with the car running weird. Filled up the GF's SUV the other day at Costco since she just got a membership there and it was only $2.12 a gallon for regular. We'll see if she notices it running any different.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I fill up pretty much anywhere except for those small run down shops. Mostly at my big local grocer (HEB), but I also put in Walmart's gas. I haven't felt any performance or economy difference.

I stay away from the older stores because I believe the older tanks may have more sediment in them. I have yet to see any station, no matter how old, replace their tanks.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: '11 Genesis 2.0

Been using discount gas from those places for the past 3 years and never had any problems. Some people think it's watered down crappy gas but I dont believe it.