Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

Genesis owners not using hood pins

Old 01-05-2012, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Turbo
Default Genesis owners not using hood pins

Every pic I see of carbon fiber hoods on gen coups don’t have hood pins. Is there any reason why the community doesn’t use them? I’ll definitely be using them for peace of mind when I get my hood.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I actually saw someone on facebook install them this week. From what I've heard, the ARK hoods have more flutter than the VIS hoods. I would say it's a testimony to quality - if the hoods were fluttering and flapping wildly, we'd be seeing more hood pins.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:59 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec

There seems to be a great debate over the use of hood pins. I have a CF hood (Seibon SC) and I'm not using hood pins. So far the latch has been doing its job. I check regularly for stress cracks or anything of concern. I also ran my car through a car wash and the dryer jets had nearly hurricane force winds. My hood was jumping up and down like crazy. As soon as I pulled out of the car wash. I made sure everything was okay. Not only was it still latched correctly, when I pulled the latch release there was no sign of damage on the latch itself. I have Aerocatch hood pins sitting in my garage and I plan on getting them installed soon (too scared to do it myself) just for the peace of mind. I know it's risky, but I'm the kind of guy that would bareback a 60-year old Parisian prostitute.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:04 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 - 1999 Hyundai Accent Hatch

Panda, do you have the OEM style Seibon CF hood? I was looking into getting a Seibon hood, they seem to be the best quality. I would feel more comfortable with hood pins but your testimony makes me feel better about slacking if I get the hood lol
Old 01-05-2012, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by segagen
Panda, do you have the OEM style Seibon CF hood? I was looking into getting a Seibon hood, they seem to be the best quality. I would feel more comfortable with hood pins but your testimony makes me feel better about slacking if I get the hood lol

I've got the SC hood which is like the concept Genesis Coupe hood. The quality is pretty good, but fitment isn't perfect. One side appears to be slightly raised than the other. I've tried making adjustments to no avail. It isn't that noticeable, but it still bothers me

Seibon says on their website that hood pins are required, but that might be a liability thing. I've had the hood installed since September. Of course YMMV, and I don't guarantee your hood won't pop off, catch chlamydia, make your grandma cry, etc etc.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

The SEIBON SC hood is not OEM, it's vented.

Seibon and ViS have long been the popular aftermarket CF manufacturers. I'm planning on going with ViS for a few of my CF parts to come.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:21 PM

lol, is the fitment much worse than the OEM hood? Mine doesn't line up now so I doubt I would be too pissed if a CF one wasn't 100%!

Yeah, they probably add that in their for liability for sure. I don't shoot for land speed records so I think I am pretty safe. Something to think about though. Makes me shudder even thinking about drilling holes in a nice new CF hood.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:03 PM

lol, is the fitment much worse than the OEM hood? Mine doesn't line up now so I doubt I would be too pissed if a CF one wasn't 100%!

Yeah, they probably add that in their for liability for sure. I don't shoot for land speed records so I think I am pretty safe. Something to think about though. Makes me shudder even thinking about drilling holes in a nice new CF hood.

Here are some pics I just took with my cell phone:

I imagine if I got hood pins that it would push both sides down, but they would still look a little off. Honestly, my OEM hood has better fitment than this. I hear you on the drilling. I know with my luck, I'd measure 10 times and still end up being lopsided. That's why I don't mind spending the extra cash to make sure it's done right.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:23 PM

pfft, looks like it fits better than my hood, lol!

Thanks for posting those pics.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:30 PM

pfft, looks like it fits better than my hood, lol!

Thanks for posting those pics.

Haha! Wow really?

You're welcome dude, anything to help out