Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

Genesis coupe – V6 versus inline 6

Old 02-01-2012, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Genesis 3.8
Default Genesis coupe – V6 versus inline 6

What are the pro and cons of V6 engines vs. Inline 6 engines? Why do certain manufactures typically stick with one or the other?
Old 02-01-2012, 05:27 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec

Originally Posted by i_hate_gencoupe.com
What are the pro and cons of V6 engines vs. Inline 6 engines? Why do certain manufactures typically stick with one or the other?

I don't claim to be an engine expert, but I'll try to speak from experience. Inline-6 (L6) engines typically offer a smoother acceleration and are balanced better than a V6. The main con would be engine bay space required as they're longer. That's not really an issue with a RWD setup, but a lot of manufacturers use the same engine (with modifications) on FWD and RWD platforms (Nissan's VQ engine for example). Using a L6 in a transverse configuration wouldn't be practical. That's why I think BMW typically sticks with L6 as they predominately use RWD. L6 engines are also reported to be more reliable. However, I also think V6 engines are easier to tuck behind the front wheels for better handling since they're shorter.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:27 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring

The main difference is that an inline six is more "balanced" than a V6, but it isn't anything that hasn't been designed around over the years, and V6s are more compact. Not to mention that back in the day, it was easier to make a six cylinder engine by chopping two cylinders off a V8 rather than designing an entirely new engine. In an inline engine, you have an even number of cylinders moving up and down in sync, so their movements cancel each other out. In a bent, or "V" six, you have two banks with an odd number of cylinders so there's more vibration as the engine runs, and you have to take that into account as you're designing the car.

But again, this isn't a huge deal in a modern car from what I understand. It's sort of like comparing a cheap quartz movement in a Timex to an automatic movement in an Omega. For 99% of cases, it's really just a novelty.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:42 PM

Vehicle: 2013 BMW 128i

Some good information here:

http://blog.cardomain.com/2009/08/11...ich-is-better/

http://blog.iseecars.com/2010/10/07/...pros-and-cons/

I've owned cars with both. Honestly, I prefer an inline six, but understand why they arent as popular anymore.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:43 PM

Vehicle: 2013 BMW 128i

Originally Posted by PandaSmuggler
I don't claim to be an engine expert, but I'll try to speak from experience. Inline-6 (L6) engines typically offer a smoother acceleration and are balanced better than a V6. The main con would be engine bay space required as they're longer. That's not really an issue with a RWD setup, but a lot of manufacturers use the same engine (with modifications) on FWD and RWD platforms (Nissan's VQ engine for example). Using a L6 in a transverse configuration wouldn't be practical. That's why I think BMW typically sticks with L6 as they predominately use RWD. L6 engines are also reported to be more reliable. However, I also think V6 engines are easier to tuck behind the front wheels for better handling since they're shorter.

Originally Posted by ChronoNinja
The main difference is that an inline six is more "balanced" than a V6, but it isn't anything that hasn't been designed around over the years, and V6s are more compact. Not to mention that back in the day, it was easier to make a six cylinder engine by chopping two cylinders off a V8 rather than designing an entirely new engine. In an inline engine, you have an even number of cylinders moving up and down in sync, so their movements cancel each other out. In a bent, or "V" six, you have two banks with an odd number of cylinders so there's more vibration as the engine runs, and you have to take that into account as you're designing the car.

But again, this isn't a huge deal in a modern car from what I understand. It's sort of like comparing a cheap quartz movement in a Timex to an automatic movement in an Omega. For 99% of cases, it's really just a novelty.

These are both pretty good answers too.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:51 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec

Originally Posted by pnutkitten
These are both pretty good answers too.

Hehe thanks. I've also owned both V6's and L6's. One thing I might add, and this may be purely subjective but having both with similar displacement and power output, the inline-6 appears to have better off the line performance than a V6. I'm too lazy to look at dyno charts but maybe L6's have a smoother, flatter torque curve?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:41 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

well in a V6 you also have to purchase "2" headers, 4 sets of cams, get 2 heads ported, 2 head gaskets. your just doubling alot of components and as we know more parts = more parts to fail/wear
Old 02-01-2012, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

Originally Posted by ChronoNinja

V8s are usually a 90* configuration and V6s are usually a 60* configuration. This is done for balancing. If you had a 90* V6 it would need an internal balancing shaft. Same with a 60* V8.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:19 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

well in a V6 you also have to purchase "2" headers, 4 sets of cams, get 2 heads ported, 2 head gaskets.

Good point optimo! I'm never voluntarily changing the rear bank of splugs on a transverse V6 again.

L6 used to be for serious face designers, and their simplicity and balance makes them a great choice for a manufacturer with less R&D money. However, a V6 block is much stronger, F1s have been using V blocks as stressed members for a long time now. Not only that, but a V6 has a far shorter crank and far shorter cams: take a second to think about how much axial strain there is in an L6 crank! Yuck!