Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

Is driving without hubcentric rings bad for the car?

Old 05-31-2015, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 3.8
Default Is driving without hubcentric rings bad for the car?

I bought and installed a new set of 19" wheels about 2 months ago and I had a little bit of a steering wheel shake once I got past 60 mph. I took the car to my mechanic and had him check everything out, do an alignment, speed balance wheels and tires and made sure everything was ok. Still had the shaking and after contacting the company I bought them from, they informed me that I needed hubcentric rings because the wheels have a bigger center bore than what my hub is. They sent me a set of them but I havent installed them yet. Will the shake in the wheel hurt anything on my car or will it wear out my tires or anything else? Im going to try and get them installed hopefully in a week or two when I have time off from work to do it.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

If you're getting noticeable shaking, yes. If nothing else that shaking will destroy your struts.

I've run wheels without hubcentric rings but never had any shaking as long as I used the right lug nuts which were properly torqued. It's always better to run hubcentric rings though.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:18 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Base

Your wheel bearings will probably get destroyed and so will your tires. Get those rings on quick.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:24 PM

Vehicle: 2005 V6 Tib

Your alignment will be shot and like ^ said....your wheel bearings will pretty much need to be replaced quickly.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:34 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Genesis 2.0

Ive driven without the rings and its annoying as sh*t. I would get them put on quick if you can.