Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

Clutch issue

Old 01-30-2012, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8
Default Clutch issue

Got a new performance clutch put in. Now it seems that when I take my foot off the clutch I hear a little of it rattling with the engine. When I push the clutch in it goes away. This is in neutral with the car just idling. Should that be normal?
Old 01-30-2012, 06:13 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 - 1999 Hyundai Accent Hatch

What type of clutch did you get? I'm guessing it came with a flywheel as well?

Sounds like flywheel chatter to me, perfectly normal for aftermarket single mass flywheels to chatter at idle/low engine speeds.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Rattling when you drive away from a stop = possibly normal clutch chatter. Rattling just sitting there = something loose, go back and complain gently-but-firmly to the shop that installed the clutch.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:18 AM

Vehicle: 2010 genesis coupe

If the car is just idling and you hear the rattle it is just flywheel chatter. these cars do it all the time since you're converting from a dual mass to single mass flywheel. Don't worry about it it isn't a big deal, just kind of annoying.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

OK then I need education: WTF makes a clutch clamped in between the flywheel/pressure plate chatter when it's spinning in Neutral, idling along at engine speed? Seems like that should be dead silent time for a clutch.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Stocker
OK then I need education: WTF makes a clutch clamped in between the flywheel/pressure plate chatter when it's spinning in Neutral, idling along at engine speed? Seems like that should be dead silent time for a clutch.

dual mass clutches are silent, and that is why most manufacturers will go with them, but a single mass flywheel holds tq better and doesn't slip as much. The downside being they chatter. The rattle you hear is from the gearbox and is normal with a single mass flywheel. At idle the individual cylinder-fire pulses are passed through the flywheel to the gearbox (with the clutch engaged) and those pulses rattle the gear lash/play in the gear train. A dual mass flywheel effectively has a rubber(or otherwise) damper in it which smooths out the pulses and reduces the gear lash rattle.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

This would be a very quiet noise then, yes? Like you wouldn't notice sitting in traffic next to a truck, but at home in the driveway you might be like "WTF is that?"
Old 02-02-2012, 07:47 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 - 1999 Hyundai Accent Hatch

Mine depends on the temperature and idle load. Sometimes it sounds like your shaking a bucket of rocks, other times you don't hear it at all. In most cases I get stares from people on the sidewalk.

Wish I had my coupe, I would take a video to help the OP confirm the noise.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by segagen
Mine depends on the temperature and idle load. Sometimes it sounds like your shaking a bucket of rocks, other times you don't hear it at all. In most cases I get stares from people on the sidewalk.

Wish I had my coupe, I would take a video to help the OP confirm the noise

exactly, a lot of it depends on the degree of the clutch you are running, also if the ac is on it makes it exponentially worse, since the motor is under load at idle. Its something you learn to deal with, i just turn up the radio.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:29 PM

Vehicle: Genesis 2.0T

That's gear lash noise and 100% normal with a single mass flywheel. Its also what people commonly refer to as clutch chatter (I used to think the same thing), but clutch chatter is more of a stutter(shake), or chatter, when you first take off.

Real Clutch Chatter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aQluNgMwBc

Gear Lash Noise from SMF (but described as flywheel chatter)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyFgT...eature=related

This is a good read http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm

Segagen, I think on gencoupe you mentioned you were running Redline Shockproof? What grade? Did it help at all with the noise?