Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

Changing from springs to coil overs

Old 04-24-2017, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Genesis 2.0 R Spec
Default Changing from springs to coil overs

I have had eibach springs in my car for around 4 years. My struts are ok still and havent blown out but the ride is starting to get to me and I think want something a little more softer and easy riding. I dont track the car so I dont care about what coil overs are best for handling. I want something that feels like I'm riding in a Cadillac and lowers the car. There is a crazy amount of different coil overs out there for our cars that range in all sorts of prices. What do some of you have and how do you like the ride quality?
Old 04-25-2017, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you want the smoothest ride possible, get air springs and go -1 or -2 on your wheel diameter.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:41 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

You could buy cheap coils and have a crappy ride, just like if you buy cheap springs. The reason why springs are giving you a harsh ride is because your factory struts are not designed to go with lowering springs and they are not working the way they should. That being said though, certain springs wont really affect your struts TOO much, like Teins as an example (what I ride on). They lower the car only about an inch which isnt too horrible on your struts.

You can either get some better struts to go with your springs (like Bilsteins, which is what the GC community recommends) or get coils with adjustable dampening so you can set how soft or harsh you want your ride to be.

Air suspension will give you a very cushy ride, like being in a Caddy but its also the most expensive type of suspension you can put in your car. All depends on your budget and what you're looking to accomplish.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:06 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T

Good coils will have strut dampening settings for sure that let you dial in how comfy of a ride you want it. I like to feel the road though and have mine set to a little more harsher so I know how the car is performing.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:24 AM

Vehicle: 01/hyundai/tiburon

I've heard for best ride quality to replace struts after 50k or some stupid crap. Monroe was doing a demo and let students drive 2 identical cars with used vs new struts, so it must make a big difference.

I put kyb agx struts on my tiburon and they are definitely stiffer at the softest setting..

I agree on bags being the smoothest, but it's double the work at least..

The higher the speed rating on your tires the stiffer the the ride will be, as well has tire profile (thickness).

To ride like a caddy do like a caddy and get air, only way
Old 05-08-2017, 03:10 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburon

Good quality coil overs are a night and day difference between springs and them. Go coils. You'll be happier.