Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

Buying a 2013 GC

Old 05-25-2015, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Originally Posted by faithofadragon
um....

you did

give me a 1990 miata and 30 grand and we shall see who's quicker in the quarter mile and road course.

See sig for opinion on GC

welcome back tyson.

Thanks for the Welcome back. Yet I also didn't ask for an opinon. I am buying one and don't care how you feel about the car, I'm driving it.

All I was asking was what GC owners have encountered during ownership or what a Second hand Genesiz owner found after they bought that they wish they had noticed before buying.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:55 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 97' Hyundai Coupe

Turburon its your decision brother

Brz is 2.0 N/A car and I think 2.0T and 3.8 V6 are not in that class !!! 2.0 turbo ~280hp and 3.8 ~350hp vs 200hp ...

What about S2000 ?! With bolt ons it's 13s car and 100% better track car
Old 05-26-2015, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by blitz
Turburon its your decision brother

Brz is 2.0 N/A car and I think 2.0T and 3.8 V6 are not in that class !!! 2.0 turbo ~280hp and 3.8 ~350hp vs 200hp ...

What about S2000 ?! With bolt ons it's 13s car and 100% better track car

S2k's no drift.

I'm looking to build a fun drift able daily.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:17 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Personally I'm looking at a slightly used STI hatchback for the family go-about. It's the best segue between fun toy and reliable 4 door DD. But with the wife's car finally paid off I want to at least a year without a car payment and save that cash for house needs.

The GC is way too heavy for my tastes as has been said over and over. If I were looking for a new toy in that price range I would (and am) look into a true JDM import. The question becomes, is this going to be a fun DD or another toy? When I see a modded car I think toy, and with a backup you can afford some down time. That said if sh*t goes south that warranty is nice. Of course none of the recent Hyundais are on my list of possible next toys. All are way too heavy and lack in the "out of the box" power:weight department. 350-ish (for the 3.8) crank hp may be fun, but it's not about to impress anyone these days especially mated to a nearly 2 ton brick. Yet another reason I like the STI, just shy of 2.5 tons and 310hp, where over the trim changes the Evo has bloated to nearly 3,600lbs. And frankly the WRX with the 5 speed feels even faster than the STI upon launch, though you'll only pull on traffic any real challenge will stomp on you.

The way I see it you have 2 options:

1.) Buy a bloated new car for DD and warranty

2.) Buy an older (pre-2005) car to mod an accept some risk

If you go for option 1 there are very few options sub $30k

edit:

There is the GT86 platform, but it NEEDS mods so that discounts the warranty and DD aspect.

If I (and this is just me because I'm crazy) were after a daily driver/drifter with room for friends and groceries, I would talk to an importer about Toyota (Z20) Soarer with the twin turbo 1GZ or Skyline R31 GTS-R. These can be had pretty much all day for under 10k, 15 for immaculate low mileage models. Again, me=slightly insane.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Welcome back!

I haven't seen many areas of concern with used GC's aside from the normal avoid if the seller wears a flat brimmed cap and watch out for abused cars.

I would say drive one, the electronic throttle isn't something I approve of, but tuning supposedly helps.

There is a HEALTHY (healthier than when you were last in the Hyundai scene) GC following here. We have a great local tuner that works magic and daily drives a 500+hp GC.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Accent

Isnt the next generation of the GC supposed to be a twin turbo V6? I would wait it out if you can and get one or wait until the new gen hits the market because then the previous gen price tags will drop like a rock.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by 187sks
Welcome back!

I haven't seen many areas of concern with used GC's aside from the normal avoid if the seller wears a flat brimmed cap and watch out for abused cars.

I would say drive one, the electronic throttle isn't something I approve of, but tuning supposedly helps.

There is a HEALTHY (healthier than when you were last in the Hyundai scene) GC following here. We have a great local tuner that works magic and daily drives a 500+hp GC.

Thanks Floyd,

Also I drove a 13 and I really like the car. I actually noticed a lot of Rev hang between shifts. Seems to not be noticeable in nuetral. Yet, I have heard you can do a lot of tuning on the stock 13+ ecu with simple bolt ons.

Who is the magic tuner for GC'S in the PNW?

I was going to get a canned tune from BTR, but would much rather get a custom tune local.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Haven't you learned by now? Don't rely on other tuners for canned tunes. Just go buy the plug n play Haltech. They have a harness, start up file and all kinds of support. Sure you pay more up front, but it'll be well worth it once you start adding mods.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

The local tuner is Christopher Sanders. I'm not 100% sure that he can do the 13+ ECU's. Ask to join the NWGC Facebook group it's a great resource.